Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2002 9:50:59 AM EDT
This is kinda long but...

A friend of mine and I went to the range at Fort Dix (post-ban only, 15 round mag only NJ)on Sunday to do a little AR shooting.

So this guy, 'bout 50yrs old, in BDU pants, combat boots, and a black shirt, comes up to us and asks my friend, (who has triangle handguards on his postban Bushy) "Hey, is that an M-16?" (draws looks from other shooters) "Um, no, it's just different handguards."
This starts this guy off on a rant.
Stuff like - "I can't buy ammo online, 'cause the Gov't won't let me" - "I'm getting a flashhider for my postban to help accuracy"
Etc.
than he starts telling us about the "snipers in the trees" DOWNRANGE. He sees them all the time, you see. And they're not supposted to make mistakes, but the one did, he found his cleaning bag. He then goes on to point out what specific trees the "snipers" like to hide in.
Whew.

He finally leaves to go back to his table, we finish shooting, and it is time to go.

"HEY!" (oh, no.) "Aren't you guys gonna watch me shoot?"

"Go ahead." I say.
Now, remember, we are in NEW JERSEY....

So he slaps a 30round-stick into his shorty and goes nuts.
I start to count: 1,2,3...4,5,6,7...8,9,10,11,12,13,14....15.. ok, it's a blocked mag...16,17,18,19,20...nope...21,22,all the way to 30.
Now everybody is looking at him, then US!

Next, he yells,"Are you part of the Bushmaster club?"

"ah, no." I said

"Ya gotta have all the equipment!!" and procedes to pull out a 3' Machette, and wave it around like a Shao-Lin monk, points it at the target, drops it, throws annother 30rounder in and goes nuts again.

(the guy's got balls, I'll give him that)

On our way out , I pass the rangemaster who is grinning ear to ear. "UM" I say. Rangemaster:"Who, Rambo? - quite a piece of machinery, hunh. He always makes sure someone is looking when he does that."

So we had a good laugh, but...

We wonder why as Gun Enthusiasts, we get a bad rap.

Tony
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Now that's a nut job!
So the rangemaster was cool with this?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah, apparently.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I had no idea "Crazy Richard" would venture all the way out to New Jersey from Bee Caves Texas!

(Everyone who has been to HCRR knows what I'm talk'n 'bout.)
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
i had somone like that at our range.  ASC (American  Center) .  anyway this guy had black BDUs, Boots, Tactical shot gun vest from BLACK HAWK.  and had these weird "tactically advanced" glasses (typical eye protection).  he was at the shot gun targets goning through rounds at a rapid fire pace.  i know how this guy spends his time.  50% lifting weights (this guy was huge!) 50%  guns and playing RAMBO.  0%  life.  what a freak!!   these guys do give us bad reps
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
holee molee.....another unguided missle!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
They have snipers in the trees at his range too?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#7]
They have snipers in the trees at his range too?

LMAO!!!

Tony
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I think thats the same guy who hangs out at the Spenceville range with his brother Darrell and his other brother Darrell...
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
that would be over here noname.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I did have a situation one time where some dudes starting shooting all over the range at a self policing range.  

The range had three sets of tables, I was sitting at the 50yd table plinking at soda cans at the bottom of the burm.  All by myself enjoying the mid day sun in early spring.  

After 30-40 minutes a rusted out 4X4 squeeled into the parking lot, 6 big guys jump out, went down range set up those "bad guy hostage style targets" then proceeded to unload several gun cases full of all kinds of fire arms.  HK MP3s, AR-15s in various configurations, a Sig, and Beretta, HK side arms that I could see.    

At first it was the normal stuff, shoot a few shots peak at them through a spotting scope.  Then it was hiding behind the park benches, trees behind and to the side of the range, running up and down the range, hiding behind the burms,  shooting across my lane of fire, emptying 30 round clips of 9mm, 223 as fast as possible with little regard for aiming.  I finnally left when one of the guys set to my left and proceeded to send hot brass upside my head.  

I couldn't shoot, they were all over the range, I couldn't sit and watch, they were hiding behind the other benches and the only bench left had a busy stream of brass pouring to the left ie my direction.  I was not going to stand around and possible become a casualty to the Armegedden's last hurrah.  

Not one to want to judge much, but "crazy" came to mind.  I left in a hurry.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#11]
P226,

That wasn't the open range near Branson, MO was it?

Man!  Ain't no way in hell I'd ever go back there, again!  I'll stick to the Dept. of Conservation Ranges. Thank you very much!

We play jokes on the Range Master, there, once in awhile.

I got my AR10 .243 and a guy sets-up in the next booth with a.....AR10 .243!  Well, there is a NO Rapid fire rule. (3sec) And the Master heard, what he thought was just one rifle firing fast. He announced over the PA, "Booth #5!(me) NO rapid fire!  Well, me and #6 start laughing, look around and see that the place is pretty empty, slap in two full 10 rnd magazines and just blasted away!  The RM just shook his head and smiled. He knew it was just two regulars doing a little "chain yankin"

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
While I have no problem addressing safety issues on ANY range......

I would hate to live in a state where I felt the need to count how many rounds came out of my neighbors magazine fed firearm w/o them reloading.

I see operations TIPS is nothing new to some parts of the country

Biggame223 in Az  (A FREE State)

Out
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#13]
15??
15 rounds!!

Well to this Canadian 15 shots IS The sound of freedom!!

I guess its all a matter of perspective!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess I missed that guy when I have gone to  the Fort Dix range. Other then the machette I don't think I would of even noticed anything wrong.  Maybe he will be there the next time I go back to the range so I can meet him.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I would love to meet this guy. Let him do his thing and shay S#it that ain't nothing. Pull out my C-Mag and Bump fire then tell him I got those snipers all sighted in and ready to to attack....ARE YOU WITH ME!!!. Pull out my Samurai Sword and wait for his reaction.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
"That wasn't the open range near Branson, MO was it?"

No, it was the self policing range in the Martha Perry conservation land just north of Warrensburg, near the blackwater river.

I have not been back since.  As much as I like to jack around, shoot things, the basic rules of firearm safety need not be broken to have fun.  

Maybe I should buy a tactical vest, put on my old BDUs, my camel back, kevler bucket and my clear ski goggels, jungle boots,gas mask, hands free radio system and head on over to the Range with my black rifle!   Yep, I see them snipers in the trees, better take cover under the bench and return fire!  Better aim well, those snipers are like snipes, hard to find and even harder to hit!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey ski, good to see you here, man you are always getting in trouble with that rapid fire thing, maybe you need a bolt gun, hehe.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I bet you could of had some real fun with him and a laser pointer.  However only the foolish provoke the insane.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
There was one a guy that showed up at our local range, came up to me and asked (without so much as a greeting) if he were to clean up the range and re-build the benches if "they would give him a break."

"If WHOM would give you a break?" I asked.

"Oh, no one."

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Another time I was stopped at a light in East Hartford, CT when a guy in the passenger seat of the car to my left was trying to get my attention.  When I looked, he brandished a small stainless revolver (he did not point it at me) and flashed a maniacal (and comical) grin.  

For some reason, it did not bother me at first.  So I went back to looking at the red light.  When it finally registered, I looked back and the dude was still waving his gun back and forth (again, he was not pointing it at me) and grinning like an idiot.  I got annoyed at this point.

I drew my own piece and waved it around just like he was doing and looked at him.  He pokes the driver, points at me, and says something.  The driver looks at me, sees my gun, accelerates, and screeches around the corner.

I went home.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top