Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2002 8:17:40 PM EDT
Is their a way to blacken stainless steel? I have a stainless barrel that i want to blacken, and i want the finish to be as durable as possable, but i dont like the idea of painting it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#2]
(1) Heat 1 cup of olive oil in a frying pan until it is smoking.

(2) Meanwhile, sprinkle a mixture of flour and cajun spices over the stainless steel.

(3) Fry at high heat until the stainless is blackened.

Oh, wait a minute.  That's for redfish.  Nevermind.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownell's has a product called Oxynate 84 that is specifically designed for bluing stainless steel.  Mostly it works well though with some steels it can be a trial and error process.  I don't know how durable the finish would be compared to painting.

You'd be best off by taking the barrel to a gunsmith who's already got an Oxynate 84 setup.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My Oly MFR came with a Blackened Stainless Brl, so yes, it can be done. The finish has held up very well too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested in the answers to this also.  I have a Sendero on layaway thats bead blasted stainless that will need to be refinished black.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I am also interested in this...

Can you get the shinny mirrored SS to look like the dull (diffuse) milspec charcoal-black on standard barrels?

Edited to add:

AR15fan, is there any way you could post a pic???
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You may mask off the muzzle and bead blast the barrel to get a nice non-reflective matte finish.

For a nice flat black, pack it up and send it to Olympic Arms.  They will blacken it for a reasonable fee.  Whatever they do, it lasts, no problem with it coming off.

Birdsong Associates can apply their Black-T finish.

Any ordinary paint will burn off.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been "bluing" with Oxynate 84 for about 13 years. I have not found any S/S it would not blue. I blast with garnet before bluing. It comes out a deep rich matte to satin black. It is as durable as park or carbon steel bluing. Most refinishers are doing this process now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top