Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 1:53:58 PM EDT
I am thinking about building or having someone else build an FAL. Any thoughts on the Tapco G-1 kits.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Get one!  I'm thinking about getting another!  I'm an FALaholic, now!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
This is my kit before finally assembly:

I paid the extra hand-pick fee when they first came in and it was well worth the extra.  With the exception of some very minor dings/scratches, the park was almost 100%.  The bore was shiny and sharp.  The stock cleaned up beautifully.  The wood pistol grip was cracked, but that didn't matter since I needed to replace it for my US parts count.  Hard to say if they still have "hand-pick" grade kits available at this point, but most kits are still pretty damn decent.  If you ask them they will very honestly tell you if it's worth the money or not.

As for having it built I would say this: if you are reasonably handy with small parts, you can do most of the assembly yourself.  The only thing I could not handle myself was mounting the barrel, head spacing and the locking shoulder.  Of course, if you get it refinished then it's probably just as well to let them build it.

LL
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
LL - Nice looking rifle, which receiver did you use?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
a firend and I built these kits on Imbel receivers we bought from Wholesale Guns...
Rifles came out great, both fuction wonderfully... great shooter under $400.

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the kit w/6 US parts.  Didn't pay for the hand picked, but got a nice one anyway.  Nice stock, finish about 70%.  Bore and rifling a bit dirty but cleaned up nice.  I'm having it built on a FAC Type I receiver (should get it back any day).  I had a problem with the US hammer (CAI).  They're sending me a replacement (or so they said...it's been two weeks).  Painted the US furniture in Desert Storm cammo.  Should be a sweet addition to the family:)
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine was built on an Imbel non-logo receiver from AIM.  Like vicg1, just under $400 complete.  It is a great rifle and fun to build.  I just added a receiver cover rail from Tapco and put a Kobra weaver-mount red dot sight on it.  I can't wait to see how that combination works :)

LL
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased a hand picked G-1 kit with 8 US parts.

I am thinking about getting the G-1 / Imbel combo (2 complete kits / no US parts) for future use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top