Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2002 12:17:58 PM EDT
I'm a bit confused on what the difference if any is of the two guns.  Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, depends on which firearm you are talking about, but usually A2 is the fixed carry handle and A3 is the removable carryhandle/flat top model.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Its all covered (with photos too) right here:

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/whatisana1a2a3ora4.msnw
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Forest,
that's a mighty nice site you folks have !
(Got it book-marked too.)
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Again, it depends on which rifle you are talking about.

For the military, the M16A2 is a fixed carry handle with 3 shot burst.

The M16A3 is the fixed carry handle with full auto.

The M16A4 is a flattop and I can't remember if it is burst or full auto.

The M4 carbine is a fixed carry handle while the the M4A1 is a flattop.  (I think that is correct, I am sure someone will correct me if not).

For AR15 type rifles, some manufacturers sell their flattop as an A3 and some sell it as an A4, which is closer to military nomenclature.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The M4 carbine is a fixed carry handle while the the M4A1 is a flattop.  (I think that is correct, I am sure someone will correct me if not).

Of course we will.  

The original M4s had the fixed carry handle, but now all of them are flat-top.  The difference between the M4 and M4A1 is the selector, just like the M16A2 vs. the M16A3
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The M16A3 has a flat top and FA capable.
The M16A4 "   "   "   "   &  is Burst Capable.
The M4    "   "   "   "   "  "   "      "
The M4A1  "   "   "   "   &   is FA capable.

Hope that helps a bit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Are you sure?  I was always told that the A3 used the A2 upper receiver.  The only flat-tops I've ever seen listed were the M16A4 and the M4.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure?  I was always told that the A3 used the A2 upper receiver.  The only flat-tops I've ever seen listed were the M16A4 and the M4.  

As LARRYG stated, the M16A3 is the M16A2 with the SAFE-SEMI-AUTO selector. I dont think the A3 is in service with the U.S Armed Forces, the A4 on the other hand is.

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hope that helps a bit.

Doesn't help because it is incorrect.  M16A3, as mentioned, is fixed carry handle with full auto selector.

From the ArmaLite website:

The M16A3 model is like the M16A2.  The only difference is that the M16A3 is equipped with semi/auto settings on the selector, while the M16A2 has semi/burst settings.  The military M16A4 is like the M16A2, but is equipped with the flat topped upper receiver equipped with the Picatinny Rail.  

Mark Westrom is a former Army ordinance officer and he knows of what he speaks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top