Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2002 3:45:42 PM EDT
Ok a couple of years ago I bought a Norinco SKS at a gun show, with no idea what it was. I love it, one of my favorite guns. But I'm looking around at different SKS's and I noticed that they all have 20" barrels. Mine looks different so I measured the barrel. Its about 16 inches long. I cant find any information on it. I saw an ad in an old Guns&Ammo magazine (june 1990) for a Navy Arms "cowboy carbine" that was a 16.5" SKS. Thats the only info I have on it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It's probably one of the Paratrooper models.... Think M16A2/M4. One is just a carbine length shorter than the full size. It probably has a shorter bayonet than the standard 20" too IIRC. I have one and thats about all I know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would BJB ban CHINESE rifles? he was already in bed with them, why not buy their guns too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually had one of those, the 16" para SKS! Totally pimped mine out, removed the bayonet and lug, installed a M16A2 flash suppressor, threaded the barrel, opened up the FS to .30 cal, installed a folding stock, installed a Williams rear peep sight, has some of the early USA detachable 30 round mags that worked great! Sold as a package deal in back in 1991 to finance a race car project!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the 16" SKS paratrooper models too.  Mine takes AK mags.  It is the SKS-M.  M stands for Monte Carlo.  There were two versions of the SKS that takes AK mags.  The other version had a thumbhole stock ( that most people do not like ).

I bought mine before the AWB and have loved it!  My friend'd son loves it too.  Anytime we would go shooting he would ask if I was bringing the SKS.  So this year for his 16th birthday I went in with his father and we got him one.  We ould not find a SKS-M in time for his birthday so we settled for the thumbhole stock.  He could care less !  I think he has finally stopped sleeping with it in his bed...
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw this great little twist lock type M14-style f/s but then you cant use the bayonet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Used to have one.....16"bbl.....std stock and drop box mag.......put it in plastic....totally inaccurate.....traded it...........
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope - It can have only ONE evil feature - but since most of them have a bayo lug - you're done.

Tony

Oh, yeah... I have a 16" Norinco paratrooper and I love it - it out-shoots all my other Com-Bloc stuff.

Tony
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
forgive me - a liitle confused by the above two posts.  I have a 16" I bought in 92 or 93 (no idea whent it was imported).  If take the bayo lug off, technically, could I add an "evil" feature (like a folding stock?)?

(do you ever get tired of these types of questions?)
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#11]
So this:
is a no go?

The stock is a folder but it doesn't have a bayonet lug or a threaded bbl. It is the Model-D, came with the thumbhole stock. Shoots great. I'm looking to put a cheepy red dot on it.
It isn't currently in this configuration, at least not until I replace enough parts with US made ones.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Neat.  But how do you open a beer bottle with it?
In before the lock!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
why would they lock this thread?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine came with a bayo lug and the spike type bayonet. Regular stock, scope mount. If it came with the bayonet is it still illegal?
Youre worrying me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slacker,

Your pictured gun is absolutely illegal.  I see a pistol grip, folding stock, flash suppressor (which, if 22mm, is also a grenade launcher), and a questionable bipod, though that one could be argued.

Troy,
Thanks for all the info. I'm a little confused about the 22mm flash suppressor/grenaade laucher issue. Can you elaborate?
Also, the SKS in the pic I posted has no bipod.
Thats a suppressed 10/22 bbl with a el cheapo bipod on it. (keeps it from rolling off the table when I'm working on it) Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Knock Knock...WHo is there...ATF come a knocking saw you Illegal SKS on AR15.com...Hand it over along with all your other toys.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Knock Knock...WHo is there...ATF come a knocking saw you Illegal SKS on AR15.com...Hand it over along with all your other toys.

Dave's not here man...neither is his SKS.
Try the next house down...
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Troy,

So it came with the mounted bayonet, but thats illegal? huh. What if I take the bayonet off? Or does it matter as long as I dont go hauling around Dallas with it in the back seat. Loaded. And chambered. With the safety off. Anyway.
I kinda like the bayonet, I use it for crossing fences. (Stab bayonet into ground, jump fence, pull rifle out of ground)
I hunt deer with it.
Standard 10-round box magazine, not pistol-grip stock, no threads on the barrel, no flash suppressor. Thats ok right? cause just one evil?

Edited to add: Mines a Norinco
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top