Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2002 4:26:29 PM EDT
I dont consider myself gullable.. hell i dont even think i can spell it! anyways I was at a gunshow about 6 months ago... A guy was trying to tell me that new handguns (glock, beretta, sig ect ect) are now being made to not accept hi-cap mags? I'm not sure how this is even possible, and i didnt really buy it.. but i prentended too.. tho i told them i had just bought my glock a few months earlier and it takes hi-caps fine.. they said it might have been and old stock.. What was up with this guy?? Just some moron? Or is this really true?? I haven't purchased a new handgun for a year or two..
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
New design handguns often use non hi-cap style mags, forever making them only 10 round capable. Some of the smarter designers are using slightly modified designs that accept other model or make hi cap mags with little to no modification. One that immediately comes to mind is the new polymer Springfield.

I can not see how a manufacturer with a currently manufactured pistol that had preban mags available for it would modify it to take only 10 round mags for several reasons.

1. It would cut out the market for LEO and Military contracts.

2. It would make ALL old mags pre and post ban unusable, only taking to new 10 rounders they had.

3. Along the lines on #1, if they wanted to do this AND keep the LEO market , then they would have to have 2 production lines or re-tool every so often to produce the other model. Both of those cost money. Plus, everyone would just buy the hi-cap capable ones because they would not be illegal, just restricted by the manufacturer. A trick that often doesn't work, creating a gray market.

HTH!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy was full of shite.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Beretta and S&W mags work in the XD.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Guys i just wanted to make sure.. they weren't trying to conn me into a gun cuz i was buying a makarov from the dealer there, this was a guy who was looking for a gun and he was picking a few of them up and he asked the dealer "Does this glock accept hi-cap?" i just inquired why he asked that and he explained away.. Dont remember if the dealer agreed with him or not??.. I just saw AIM is selling used Police trade in Sig p226's for 399.99 with 1 15 round clip.. I thought its a pretty good deal bug since i just layed down 950 for my M4 i'm in no position to buy a new gun for a while, so i was just assessing if this rumor was true.. But since its not, i am sure there will be plenty of hi-cap sig's around for quite a while and i'll just get one later :) even tho that is a pretty damn good price for a sig!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a new Glock a couple of months ago that has no problem accepting the hicap mags.  He's full of something for sure.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
He's not exactly full of shit. The S&W agreement stated that new designs of handguns would not be able to use preban hicaps. I don't know if any of these new models have hit the streets yet as S&W sales have been dismal since the agreement.

I also heard the Beretta agreed to similar. And of course Ruger sold us down the river.

It is not so much today and what you can buy in the store now - it is more future models.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]

I also heard the Beretta agreed to similar.

Are you kidding?  Beretta told them to go jump in a lake.  Their response was half the reason I bought my first Beretta.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I also heard the Beretta agreed to similar.

Are you kidding?  Beretta told them to go jump in a lake.  Their response was half the reason I bought my first Beretta.

Glock told them the same thing as well. Glock also flat out refused to sign the agreement to avoid litgation. They told the government that they supported the American people on this one and that they would rather face litigation than modify their design for political reasons.

Let's see..... has Glock been sued and lost yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top