Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2002 2:57:15 PM EDT
I had a thought, but wanted to get your input.

I understand how bumpfiring works.  They key being that you have to hold the rifle loose to allow the return recoil to actuate the trigger.

Well here's my idea. Could you make a stock with a recoil absorbing device.  (something that lets the stock stay against your shoulder, but that allows the receiver and rest of the rifle move backwards) The forend would also have something like a telescoping free-floater effect.  This way you could shoulder fire the rifle, and control it's direction, but it's free to move the 1/2" or so in line with the barrel.  (I even thought that maybe the stock would have a hook type thing that would go over the top of your shoulder similar the the SAW's.

Well, what do you think?  Is it legal?  Has this already been done?

Flame on!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a collapsible stock to me.

Please be careful and don't embarrass Ohio!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you think?  It would slide about 1/2". Somewhat like the recoid absorber on a trap shotgun.  I was thinking of a 2-piece buttplate that would attach to a regular fixed stock.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The issue is that the method shouldn't be part of the manufacutured rifle due to liablity issues.

Bump firing relies on the abuse of the weapon by the owner and therefore liablity rests (more) with the user than the given rifle. Still I'm willing to bet that there's a jury in LA that would hold the manufacture liable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
fusion,
I believe you can achieve your goals by going back toward the AR-15 as originally designed.

Simply use a lighter buffer assembly that will not have the plurality of inertial mass acting in delayed sequence to oppose bolt rebound.  The cycle should speed-up increasing bolt-carrier bounce and increasing light strike misfires.  An additional benefit should be an increase in FTE's as the spent casing will not have time to cool to original form and eject properly.
Oh, better stay with Ball Powder.

Sure hope this is helpful.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
think I remember hearing about somthing like this a while ago, guy even said he had it cleared with the atf.

but he was full of shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top