Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2002 8:18:42 AM EDT
By reasonable I mean basically a service handgun. I just want to knwo what the most accurate 9mm pistols are out there. I dont want any 6 or 7 or 10 inch barreled $10,000 wonders just something very well made and reliable.

Ok so here are my choices but if you knwo anything else tell me: [whats the best?]

1)FN/Browning Practical or MKIII, whichone is teh moe accurate one? I would guess the Practical. Cheapest of these three guns. 10-13 rounds compared to the other's 8 rounds. Has been around forever and is considered one of the best 9mm's ever. How does it match up against the others though?

2)SIG P210, long 4.8 inch barrel, abput $1000. I prefer the P210-8 model with the target sights and the American style mag release. I dont want the sights just the fact that I can replace them unlike with the P210-2 which is the original military model and has ugly plain black fixed sights. Also the European mag relewase means that it is on the bottom of the gun next to the magazine itself right? I would hate that. Is this truly the best 9mm out there? The fact that it can shoot acurately to 50 and 100m alone seems to make this so much better than the rest.

3)HK P7M8, 8 rounds of 9mm, squeeze cock safety, very compact yet said to be extremely accurate and reliable. Does heat up and gets dirty fast but still is very nice. A bit expensive at about $1100 or more but then again none of these guns are  on the cheap side.

4) Edited to add the Beretta 92G Elite II, perhaps this is preety hot too, but, its a Beretta!!!

So who's the best? Or is there some other brand I missed which is better than all three? Vote!

The SIGer
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Added the Beretta 92G ELite II, perhaps this is pretty good too. What do you say? Or the SIG ownz all???
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
FEG HiPower clone, for cheap. Taurus 92/99 for mor.

SIG P226 is the best IMHO, I have never shat a better 9mm.

dave
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
SIG 226 for full size. You can pick them up used in great shape for 399 w/1 15rnd preban mag.

SIG 228 for mid size, around the same price used in great shape w/1 13rnd preban mag.
They can use the 15rnd 226 mags as well, they just stick out a bit.
(I found one NIB w/2 postban 10rnd mags for 579, but didn't have the cash)

My 226 is a great shooter and it is a breeze to break down & maintain.

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Since your asking SIG.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Which one SIG P226 or P210? Please ppl: BE SPECIFIC!!!

Doggonit
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

SIG 228 for mid size, around the same price used in great shape w/1 13rnd preban mag.
They can use the 15rnd 226 mags as well, they just stick out a bit.
(I found one NIB w/2 postban 10rnd mags for 579, but didn't have the cash)

I'll second the Sig 228.  It is very easy to maintain, accurate, and shoots anything I put through it.  Mecgar also makes/made a 15 rd. preban mag that functions just as well as the factory ones IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, if accuracy is your only requirement... I would say get the Sig P-210. But if you want a versatile, reliable gun that's about as accurate, if not more accurate, than any regular service pistol.....then get the Sig-Sauer P226. Can't think of a better gun myself.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The best service class 9mm out there for general purposes is the HKP7M8.  The Port of Seattle Police use the P7M8 and Special Ops use the P7M13s.  But HK never has got the finishes right.  Oh well, bought my '84 PSP hard chromed, no worries.

I've owned both the P7M8 and the PSP with the European mag hell release.  Loved them both but kept the PSP.

Some complain about the gas recoil system heating up the P7s but hey, that's a function of the gun.  What else do you expect out of a squeezecocker?  Don't rifles heat up after 20-30 rounds as well - the barrel and front of receiver?

Love Sigs and the full sized P226/220 size is hard to beat. Quite accurate.  Finish problems as well.  Both my 226 and 220 developed rust spots so I went through bottles of BreakFree and a couple of broken trigger assemblies springs and I sold them.

The Beretta 92 is carried by our US troops and LAPD.  But it's not really be renowned for its accuracy but its durability.  And the problem with the slide being able to be pulled off from the front side by pulling on it has left a bad taste in folk's mouths.  Beretta fixed the problem but if you watch Rush Hour, you may not trust that '92 anymore.  Chris Tucker snatches a  slide off of an assailant's gun quicker than lightning!  And they are bricks!

Same goes for the Glocks. Love my Glock 34 but my HK P7 is more accurate.  But like the Beretta, the Glocks and Sigs sports some nice hi caps.  But you have to like polymer and be able to deal with the GT types.

BHP is nice as well.  A John Browning version of the 1911 in 9mm.  Lots of fun things to do to trick it out.  Must have for 9mm collectors but never impressed me because most people HAVE to get trigger jobs on them.  Nice but most of the BHP enthusiasts I've seen at the range are in the 40-60 crowd.

The P210 is nice but many complain about that serrated hammer biting the web of their thumbs during firing.

Shot all of the above over the years and keep coming back to the German and Austrian stuff!

For the best accuracy and the money, an HKP7 or a Glock 34 is my recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#9]
i voted high power. But not a copy. A new or belgine<sp> manufacture. Accurate and relible out of the box. Cheap high caps and reasonably customizable.

mike
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
CZ 75.  The best-pointing pistol I own, and due to the inverted rail design (same as SIG P210) inherently very accurate.  Also can be treated as 1911, first shot SA.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a BHP fan, (47 yrs old, heh!) but I'm with Ken Mays on this one.  Get a $350-$375 CZ75B while you still can.  Fifteen to 16 shots depending on the magazine, smooth non-stacking trigger, inside SIG 210-like slide rails, great workmanship, $35 15 shot factory mags readily available (from VonFatman), etc., etc.  Wonderful pistol and about the best value out there (and thus why I'm NOT saying go for the $475-$575 BHP!).

As an alternative, I highly recommend the Springfield XD9, or the late HS2000, the XD predecessor.  This Glock-looking polymer-framed 9mm has a sweet CZ75-BHP-like grip and it's striker system yields great groups out of the box in noob and veteran hands alike.  XD9s are $400 street, +$50 /-$25 or so.  YMMV.  I liked it so much that I sold my G17 and G19, both of which were not a comfortable to hold and not as accurate when I fired them vs. the HS2000, CZ75, and of course, my BHPs.

Both of these, CZ and XD, are accurate and reasonable, matching the criteria to a "T".
Take yer pick!

Noah
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
$400 beretta 92FS, then pick up some pre-ban 17 and 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, if accuracy is your only requirement... I would say get the Sig P-210. But if you want a versatile, reliable gun that's about as accurate, if not more accurate, than any regular service pistol.....then get the Sig-Sauer P226. Can't think of a better gun myself.

This man is 100% correct IMHO
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
OK SIG P226 it is! LOL Rbad....
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Browning HP.

IF you go with SIG, go with the P210 and NOT the P226.  The P210 is EXTREMELY accurate, but probably not what I would call a "service pistol" as your poll indicates.

However, if it's just for paper-punching or competition shooting, that P210 will be a SWEET PIECE!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Ummm, yes the P210 "IS"[size=6/] a service pistol. Bold, underline, and italicize "IS". It used to be a service pistol with the Swiss and the Danish military (an army of Danish and Coffee!!! Hungry!!! ) As a matter of fact the SIG P210-2 that you can buy today even come swith the swiss cross stamped onto the rear sight as it was when the P210 was a service handgun in the Wiss military. Perhaps competition shooter may have ued the P210 aas a target gun and may have popularized it but it is stilla service handgun. So is the 1911; no matter if the 6 inch barreled, compensated, titanium, red dot scope monster isn't meant for the same purpose as the original was. I write and say: BS!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
CZ-75B

Under $400 new, factory high caps are $35, great ergonomics, excellent accuracy, and to top it all off, can be carried safely in Condition 1 or Condition 2.

Beyond a doubt it's the best value in a 9mm handgun today. Everybody should own one.

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
CZ 75.  The best-pointing pistol I own, and due to the inverted rail design (same as SIG P210) inherently very accurate.  Also can be treated as 1911, first shot SA.

Second that.

Too bad you didn't ask this question back when HS2000's were $249.
Of course, they renamed them "Springfield X-Treme Dutys", jacked up the price, and now everyone loves them.
I called that homer...
I knew all the little HS needed was a price increase to get American shooters to accept it..
Glad I got mine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
My vote goes for the Jericho 9mm. Its the Israeli
side arm. At $325 to $375 its pretty cheap and very
accurate. In the USA, they are marketed under the names
of "Baby eagle", "Uzi Eagle" or even "Baby Desert Eagle".
They also used in Israeli Defence Forces and by Israeli Police.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a Jericho 941 that I got from a guy who got the gun while he was stationed in Israel a couple of years back. (The Same One used by the Mossad and all the other Super Ultra Elite Special Tactical Ninja Monster Giant Jewish forces), and it was worse than a Glock.
I just HAD to have it.

Not a bad gun, but worse than a Glock.
I have had a few G17's that NEVER jammed.
My 941 did. And more often that I would have liked.
The reason the Israeli's use them is the same reason many US forces buy their own 1911's.
Not because it's the best, but because it's home grown, and has plenty of local lore surrounding it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#21]

ilikelegs said:

My vote goes for the Jericho 9mm. Its the Israeli side arm. At $325 to $375 its pretty cheap and veryaccurate. In the USA, they are marketed under the names of "Baby eagle", "Uzi Eagle" or even "Baby Desert Eagle".

I believe the whole Jericho line is a licensed CZ copy (the cheap aftermarket mags I use as range mags for me CZ came in packages marked 'CZ75/Baby Eagle").

So why not just buy the original for the same money?

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#22]
There's no difference in accuracy between the MK3 and the Practical.  I own both, and bowling pins fear me regardless of which one I use.

I've owned one BHP clone and will never again buy a BHP clone.  Its either the real thing or nothing at all. If there is any advise I can give a potential BHP purchaser, DO NOT buy a clone!  The fit and finish will never be up to par, and most of the parts are not universal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ilikelegs said:

My vote goes for the Jericho 9mm. Its the Israeli side arm. At $325 to $375 its pretty cheap and veryaccurate. In the USA, they are marketed under the names of "Baby eagle", "Uzi Eagle" or even "Baby Desert Eagle".

I believe the whole Jericho line is a licensed CZ copy (the cheap aftermarket mags I use as range mags for me CZ came in packages marked 'CZ75/Baby Eagle").

You could buy the original, but the same concept
would have to be applied to the AR, HK, etc.
I just liked it since it was made by the Israeli's. There may or may not be any difference in quality. I have not really heard that much about it. So far, mine has functioned flawlessly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay, IMHO a quick and dirty evaluation; commonly known as a "real no-shitter".

1)Browning HP is a great gun with superior ergonomics, but it's trigger sucks and prevents superior accuracy.

2)The Sig 210-8 is hideously expensive.  If this is the one with the american style mag release, I think the going rate is around 3K.

3)The HK P7M8 is a very accurate pistol for it's size, although a bit unorthodox in operation, and "kind'a pricey".  It has an excellent single action trigger pull.

4)My pick for best 9mm handgun (DRUMROLL PLEASE):
The SIG P226.
The ergonomics are exceptional, the price is reasonable for a high quality firearm, and it's accuracy is without question.  It's also a double stack gun, which helps tilt the tables for those of you that have a fundamental aversion to "sub-calibers".

If it were not for the long double action trigger pull, I would still be shooting my P226 instead of a Glock G34 in competition.  I gave up a little accuracy for a little speed.

Edited to add that the Navy party boys must have chosen the Sig for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#25]
CZ75BD.

Accurate, reliable, good trigger, standard-cap mags readily available.  About $350.

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer the single action of the Browning High Power along with those high cap South African mags (17 rounds).  The Browning feels great and is very accurate for me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#27]

I would definetly be buying a P226 if SIG offered a decent finish for the gun.  There are just to many problems in that area for a $700+ gun.  

I'm going w/ HK or Beretta.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Since nobody has suggested it, would  you find the Glock longslide too large for you? If not, its nice and accurate, you can use cheap hicaps, the MV is amazing, and you can get the trigger fixed up to something short and sweet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ilikelegs said:

You could buy the original, but the same concept
would have to be applied to the AR, HK, etc.
I just liked it since it was made by the Israeli's. There may or may not be any difference in quality. I have not really heard that much about it. So far, mine has functioned flawlessly.

The biggest gripe I have about the Baby Eagles is that since they put the safety on the slide, there is damn little area to grab onto when racking the slide.  Maybe that's why the rear sight sticks up like a smokestack -- just hook it onto the nearest solid object and shove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top