Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2002 9:26:48 PM EDT
How do you keep your pants from giving you a massive wedgie when you draw your pistol? I'm about 6' and 135-140 pounds, with about a 31 waist, and I can never seem to get a clean draw.
I use a Galco #717 L leather holster for my beretta 92fs, and a Uncle Mikes Kydex belt hoster, but whenever I draw my belt and pants ride really high, somtimes causing my gun to get hung up or not coming out of the holster at all.
I don't wear baggy pants or anything like that, but I don't have a gut, or a butt for that matter. I've tried those big heavy Galco belts and the same thing happens.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Edit to add a "and"
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How do you keep your pants from giving you a massive wedgie when you draw your pistol?

Clench
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I would... If I had a butt
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Grow a small gut, it worked for me.  Plus its a whole lotta fun making it!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried placing your holster a few inces to the rear or front? this may help due to the way your hips contor to the belt and different locations have different tightness. you may want to get a looser holster too. When I was looking at the holster size chart for my beretta 8000 it said to get a size 15. well i tried that one out and got a size 16. it still holds the gun very snugly but it is easier/faster to draw.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm almost the same size as you. 6-3 155. I have found that a forward cant helps alot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Tighten your belt.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
1. tuck your pants legs into your boots.

2. glue inside the waist.

3. molylube in the holster

seriously, a slightly larger holster, maybe a leg strap?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I have a drop leg holster also, but I can'
t use that everywhere.

thanks for the tips guys! Keep em coming!

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Drink beer....lots of beer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How do you keep your pants from giving you a massive wedgie when you draw your pistol? I'm about 6' and 135-140 pounds, with about a 31 waist, and I can never seem to get a clean draw.
I use a Galco #717 L leather holster for my beretta 92fs, and a Uncle Mikes Kydex belt hoster, but whenever I draw my belt and pants ride really high, somtimes causing my gun to get hung up or not coming out of the holster at all.
I don't wear baggy pants or anything like that, but I don't have a gut, or a butt for that matter. I've tried those big heavy Galco belts and the same thing happens.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Edit to add a "and"

OK, man I have to admitt that you have me stumped on that 717L bit. I'm a Galco distributor and haven't a clue which one that is. But as far as everyone saying buy a larger holster you already know that is not an option with the Galco line, they are hand boned for specific guns. Have you tried loosening your retention screw(s)? Also Galco has a new product called Draw-Ez that is basically a "gun safe" lubricant for your holster ($6.99).

That's about all I've got for ya other than buy smaller pants. Let me know the product name and maybe I can give a little advice on carry position.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had luck wearing mine just behind my right hip, I think it's the 3:30 or 4:00 position, I had the same problem when I wore it right at my side.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]
PUT SOME MEAT ON THEM BONES!!

Seriously, I'm like the skinniest guy I know and I have 30 pounds on you - same height!

I was a lot skinnier when I was younger - IIRC. I believe my 16 YO driver license listed me as 5'10 and 126 pounds. I didn't then, nor do I now, carry a holstered pistol though.

Good luck.

The real question: How do you conceal a 92FS on that frame? That is one wide, big pistol!

Adam
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Get married to a good looking woman who can cook.
That's what I did.
I was 6" but I weighed 175 lbs.
Then I went up to 220 lbs.
No I'm down to a steady 190 lbs.

Marriage can be a good thing.
You get to feed you gut, feed your sexual appetite.
And you can weigh enough now to use that holster.

Happy hunting
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL! I would drink lots of beer, but the only problem with that is after about 3, I piss my pants and forget who I am for an hour or so!

Ok, so I'm a dumbass, I just looked again, and its a Bianchi! A friend just gave it to me, I just assumed it was Galco. But anyway its either the #717 L or #7/7 L. it does have a forwand cant.

I'll try wearing it behind my hip and see if that helps any.

"Seriously, I'm like the skinniest guy I know and I have 30 pounds on you - same height!"
Lol! My childhood nickname was "Chickenlegs" I can close my fingers around my lower leg. I eat like a horse but can't seen to gain weight. My dad was the same way though, so I shouldn't be surprised.

"The real question: How do you conceal a 92FS on that frame? That is one wide, big pistol!"
Lol! I also have a USP45 that I hope to carry some day!!

Lol!

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
92fs,
i feel your pain man
im 5'11" and 135 on a good day
i eat like a horse usually and rack my sac every time i attempt a draw.  i found a kydex holster that has two clips that distributes the "pull" that my pants recieve as well as keeps the holster at a constant angle.  this helps the wedgie/inabliity to draw issues somewhat, but i got issues still.  this is with a glock30, btw
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
92fs and Colinjay.....don't take this wrong..

"I hate you guys"

I gain two pounds if I take an aspirin...
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
92fs and Colinjay.....don't take this wrong..

"I hate you guys"

I gain two pounds if I take an aspirin...

dont get me wrong, but how may ladies do you think got to sleep at night dreaming about "chicken-boy"

i loose five punds every time i go to the john

i could eat two whole birthday cakes (trying to gain weight) and loose five pounds from the whole digestion process.

high metabolisms are just like slow metabs... A BITCH!

just letting yall see how the "skinny half" lives :)
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Woohee - I just had one hell of a great time reading this thread. ROFL!  I'm skinny too, not quite as skinny as a few people here seem to be, but dammit, I have to use my left foot to clamp my right pantleg in a one legged draw stance in order to pull my guns without pulling my pants along with them, like, up to my neck.

Shotguns knock me around like a dry leaf, and DIG like axes into my bony shoulder.

I'm going to start trying to build muscle, since I'm tall, and maybe that will help a bit.  I always HATED gym class back in highschool, because all of the meat-head jocks would plow through me during sports - we JUST don't have the inertia factor...
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#19]
First of all.... Great choice of a side arm, nothing beats a 92fs.

I would just hang it off my belt, but thats just me.

a side arm is back up weapon anyway. I would only use it during a reload, or if im out of ammo.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#20]
One of my ladie friends said she "Would kill for legs like mine"... I almost cried.

I hunt with a 7MM Rem. MAG and boy let me tell ya, the recoil from that baby literaly blows me away. If i'm not extra super careful I'll lose my footing real quick. I've tried beefing up in the gym, but I don't gain alot of wieght, I get harder, but not heavier.

Hey, any of you guys know how to build calf muscles? I need to do something with my legs before I develope a complex.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes - get a mountain bike that you LOVE (get one that is a few sizes too small, you'll thank me when you want to get technical with it later) and pound on that thing until you need to pass out.  Every day.  You'll be able to kick through bricks.

Don't go get a Sears Special, get a Specialized or a used GT or something that you can show off - you'll end up loving it like your guns.

www.specialized.com

Living in OR, you have a huge array of biking bliss, like we do here in CO.  Note:  Mountains NOT required - a city is full of wonders, as is a beach.

Edit: added link and note
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top