Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2002 10:19:47 PM EDT
I have been looking at these and have to say they are pretty cool rifles but here are some of the things I don't really like, they seem heavy, only hold 10 rounds and I don't really like the beat up stock.  so do you think I should go for the sks?  and are these things really that durable and reliable, looking at them I would doubt that they would function correctly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have yet to see a Yugo in crappy shape.  Mine is NIB.
The main problem is the gas valve doesn't bleed off enough gas to properly cycle the action, resulting in failure to cycle and short-stroking.  Take the biggest rubber mallet you can get your hands on, when you take it to the range.
Edited to add, other SKS's don't really have this problem, because they don't have the gas cutoff for the grenade launcher.  I am told a small number of Norincos did, but most of the Yugos are having the reliability problems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Greg,

If the gun appears to be a beat up POS, then look for a different one. If it was me, I would just search around and find a Norinco Chinese SKS. There are still tons of them floating around and I know they are good. I have never had any experience with Yugo SKS's but I can vouch for the Chinese ones. If they are in fair or better condition, they will work.

And yep, they are a cheap gun. They aren't pretty, fancy or anything else. They are just a simple and crude firearm. But it does exactly what it is supposed to about as well as anything. They work. If you want to improve them, add an aftermarket stock to increase length of pull. That's about all you need to do. And leave the factory 10 round fixed mag in place. These are much more reliable and less awkward than many of those 30 rd mags you can buy. Besides, you have 10 shots and that will be more than you are likely to ever need. But if you do loading them with a fresh 10 rounds is a snap with the aid of strippers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
the DOJ ruled that the yugo 59/66 is illegal in Kali

i have seen them for sale here, before the ruling and the stock was kinda beat up and sold for $240
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They are top loaders correct? they dont have a detachable mag, right? that sucks. but they are Cheap!
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Non- chrome lined bore/chamber is the biggest downer, IMHO. And you can bet most had corrosive ammo shot through them at one time. Try and find a Chinese, or better yet, Russian SKS. They are still out there... if your willing to look.
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the DOJ ruled that the yugo 59/66 is illegal in Kali

i have seen them for sale here, before the ruling and the stock was kinda beat up and sold for $240

Some companies are selling special CA models with the grenade launcher removed. It's a little fugly, but it will do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're in CA you can legally buy a Yugo 59, which never had a flash hider/grenade launcher. Or you can buy a 59/66 that's had the grenade launcher removed (a couple of vendors are selling them that way for an extra $25 or so for their labor).

That's my $129 Yugo with excellent finish, matching numbers except bolt and hand guard, mirror bore, and nice wood.  The Yugo's are the best deal out there for an SKS by far. If you can find a dealer who has a few in stock you should be able to pick out a nice one, or order an excellent one from AIM Surplus for $179.

Link Posted: 8/3/2002 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]
What differentiates the Yugo from the Russian models??

Are they forged receivers?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]

GlockA-Molee queries:

What differentiates the Yugo from the Russian models??

Are they forged receivers?  

They are a lot like the Russian guns except they lack chrome-lined barrels.  Milled receivers, quality machine work, and the fact that you can get an unfired example for ~ $200 make them pretty desireable.

Even the $129 example I posted above was in excellent shape. An equivalent Russian gun would go for ~ $250-$300.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The good?

Theyre cheap, reliable, and pretty damn fun.
And did i mention they're cheap??
The bad?
Theyre so damn cheap, you don't feel like buying just one...

heh
ahh nuts..

Honestly, anything with a bayonet attached turns me on..

just looks neat,
and original
I cant believe the OICW has a freaking bayonet attachment on it,
thats probably one gun i would NOT get with a bayonet..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top