Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2002 6:21:19 PM EDT
IS IT LEGAL TO BUY A POST BAN LOWER RECEIVER AND MAKE A 10 1/2" BARREL PISTOL USING A PARTS KIT LIKE "MODEL 1 SALES" ADVERTISES IN SGN. I WOULDN'T WANT TO MAKE A SHORT BARRELED RIFLE BY ACCIDENT!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
NO!

THISISME
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It is if you permanitly attach the mag.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Even if you permanently attach the mag it is still illegal if it left the factory as a rifle lower or was ever a part of a rifle and I am unaware of any manufacturer who currently sells AR15 lowers as a pistol lower.

THISISME
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as it it a virgin lower it is OK.
and Hesse does sell a lower designated as a pistol lower, (not that you'd want one)
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IS IT LEGAL TO BUY A POST BAN LOWER RECEIVER AND MAKE A 10 1/2" BARREL PISTOL USING A PARTS KIT LIKE "MODEL 1 SALES" ADVERTISES IN SGN. I WOULDN'T WANT TO MAKE A SHORT BARRELED RIFLE BY ACCIDENT!

I think you can make a pistol, but you cant have a stock on it, or it would need to be a registered SBR, you would have to replace the stock with one of those short dove-tail tube thingys.

BUT IM NOT SURE SO CHECK IT!!!!

This has to be right though, cause otherwise you could just buy a OA-93 or OA-98 and replace the short tube with a stock and you get arround the less then 16in SBR law.....

wounder if I just let out a legal loop hole?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't there weight limit too?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you can make a pistol, but you cant have a stock on it, or it would need to be a registered SBR, you would have to replace the stock with one of those short dove-tail tube thingys.

BUT IM NOT SURE SO CHECK IT!!!!

This has to be right though, cause otherwise you could just buy a OA-93 or OA-98 and replace the short tube with a stock and you get arround the less then 16in SBR law.....

wounder if I just let out a legal loop hole?

NO, you didnt... WAY OFF

you can make a pistol with a post ban lower, there are 2 options

1. weld the mag and put whatever features on that you want.

2. or, has to be under 50 oz (which is virtually impossibe) , no handguards, and post ban features only

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The only legal way to make a post ban AR pistol with the 10 1/2" barrel configuration is to perminantly fix the magazine in the well, thus eliminating it from being defined as a "semiauto assault weapon" because it can no longer accept a detachable mag. Keep in mind that that magazine must be fixed in such a way that IT CAN NEVER COME OUT BY NORMAL MEANS otherwise the BATF will still think of it as detachable. With the mag fixed and the weapon now legally not a SAW you can have all the evils except a stock, bayo lug, flash hider, wieght over 50 oz., you name it.

As for the pistol lower versus rifle lower thing, I think somewhere along the line someone needs to log the lower as a pistol. Once the lower has been sold as a rifle it cannot become a pistol so converting after purchase as a rifle is just plain out I think. As for a "virgin" factory lower, getting a manufacturer to log a lower as a pistol and then sell it to you might be a little hard. There is a guy here in the Saint Louis area that makes AR lowers and someone once told me he'd cast you a lower and log it as a post-ban pistol if you ordered it but as I have never done that I don't know if that is true.

P.S. I own two HESSE kevlar lowers. They both have Bushy guts and uppers and run just fine. Most of the issues with HESSE come from their total lack of quality control on all their parts but the stipped lower, which results in really shitty rifles. I've read on here about someone who burned up their kevlar lower somehow but I think that might have been a fluke.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a DPMS Pump Pistol? www.dpmsinc.com/products/pump_pistol.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How about a DPMS Pump Pistol?

Same category: Not a Semiautomatic Assualt Weapon if you have to pump it. They do the same thing with AK rifles for Kalifornia so they aren't classified as assault weapons.

But who wants to pump a pistol?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]

COOL! Ive never seen one before, since it's not semi, you can have all the features you want..

A little pricy though at $1595
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
2. or, has to be under 50 oz (which is virtually impossibe) , no handguards, and post ban features only

well, no wounder thay are making them out of carbonfiber... I dident think of that, I saw one of the carbonfiber ones going for about $900 at a gunshow not too long ago, but I have heard that the carbonfiber cracks and breaks after a wile.

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
JsARCLIGHT, you're right. But I posted that because a couple of years ago I had a catalog from DPMS. When I read about that pistol and the pump rifle, it explained that the goodies such as the bayonet lug is legal because it is a pump action just like MAHABALI said. So I decided to post it to see if RELOADER-BOB would be interested in one. But I was also wondering if a pump action AR was ever mentioned here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

COOL! Ive never seen one before, since it's not semi, you can have all the features you want..

A little pricy though at $1595

my only question, how dose it unlock the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]

So I decided to post it to see if RELOADER-BOB would be interested in one. But I was also wondering if a pump action AR was ever mentioned here.

Your idea was a good one as this would be a factory made post-ban pistol that is fully BATF legal and would leave no grey areas like one you build yourself. And since DPMS is a reputable maker you'd get a quality product.

As for the kevlar (carbon fiber) lowers, yes I have also heard that they can split over time. That's why you have to be veeeerrry careful when building them out (unlike HESSE's factory which slaps them together like McDonalds cheeseburgers).
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#16]
How about this? A pistol bbl and no (blocked) gas tube? It would be bolt action (like a Schmidt Rubin K-31).

You Still have to find a lower to register as a pistol, but you could have everything on it (excetp a stock) and it would look like a normal preban ar15 pistol.

It's bolt action (kind of) so the AW features don't apply.

Right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#17]
If you ask me anyone who trys to use a AR-15 as a pistol is a nutjob. get a nice beretta 92fs for $400, and buy some pre-ban 17round flush fit mags, and a few 30 rounders that hang out your grip.

Why risk the felony, fines, and jail time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top