Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2002 3:01:05 PM EDT
Anyone else have this problem?

I purchased a Gibb's rebuilt #1 Mark 3 cut down like a No. 5 Jungle a few weeks ago.  I absolutely love that rifle, it was a complete blast to shoot and handy as well.  (No pun intended)

This morning, I purchased a full sized #1, Mark 3 from Navy.  I have given up on finding the Ishapore rifles in .308 since they have mostly dried up.  No matter really, the .303 works just fine.

Anyway, I'm checking out some antique shops in a local town with my Mom and daughter today, and on a lark asked this shop owner if he has any old Enfield stuff.  He says he has a spike bayonet, but that's it.  I told him about my .303 and about the .308 drying up.  

GET THIS:  He scratches his head and mumbles something about maybe having some .308's in the back.  I'm thinking that he has some old junk to match the crap he has on display.  After 5 mins. he returns with a box marked clearly Navy Arms...I'm thinking NO WAY.  He pulls out a 2A in the cosmoline!  Great, I think, NOW I find one.  I told him to hold it for me, but I wanted to clean the barrel to check the rifling to make sure it is sharp.  He says:  "If that one isn't good, I have 5 more in the attic, but you have to crawl up there and get them, cuz I don't like doing it."

Needless to say, I am making a road trip back there tomorrow with my shooting buddies who will most likely take one home each.  Anyone else have this problem?

-White Horse
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a No.4Mk1 absolutely love.

I just got back from a funstore and they had another No.4Mk1 on the rack for $150. An FTR marked rifle with all walnut funiture. Mine has a walnut rear handguard with dark stained beech buttstock and forearm. Unfortunatly, someone cut off the buttplate and added a vented rubber butt pad.

If it weren't for that and it was like the one I already own it would have followed me home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I only have 3 (am I on the road to a "problem"?)
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
where is a decent place to buy C&R guns that are tested safe to shoot?

or is it better to get my own headspace guages for whatever I buy?

or should I not worry about it and just shoot them?

where is a good place to buy enfields?

danke
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Great story.
Go get 'em!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Whats the guy asking for them?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Try loading pulled 123 grain 7.62x39mm JHP's onto a .303 case. It makes for a really good close range varmit round.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I need to buy some more Enfields.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I only have a little over 100.....

The current issue of SGN has a Navy Arms ad showing 2As. I just Navy Arms and others would stop making these "Jungle Carbine" and "Tanker gun" forgeries. Ruining perfectly good firearms to charge more for in house modified guns......

Scott

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi my name is Chris...

And I am also addicted to Enfields.

If you want to be cured, whatever you do don't go HERE, or HERE!

Here are my British ladies...

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Not an addict, but I do have a few...

1942 No4 Mk1 Longbranch
1943 No4 Mk1 BSA
1947 No5 Mk1 Fazakerley
1955 No4 Mk2 Fazakerley unissued "Irish Contract"
1918 P17 Eddystone
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
The Enfield was my second battle rifle purchase after my M1903A3 Springfield (actually Smith-Corona). I have a total of 4 Enfields at this time. 3 are No. 4 Mk I's and the 4th is a 2A. The one I prize most is my U.S. Property marked Savage.

OSA
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Schapman:  He is asking $225 each, but I cleaned the cosmoline out of the barrels and purchased the best one.  I figure the rifling is at about 80%, but it is hard to tell since I haven't cleaned the barrel completely.

Most of the others have rifling at about 50-60% which isn't too great.

When my friends arrived for the road trip, they had found a No.7 .308 carbine earlier in the day for...$135.00.  Of course, my response was...WHY DIDN'T YOU BUY IT FOR ME ?!?!?!  I just found out this morning that my friend called them back on Sunday, but it had already sold. (Doh!)

Oh well...I will keep searching.

Some of you have nice collections:  Hang on to those old girls, they are the Springfields and Krags of the future.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#13]
A buddy of mine has a No. 4 Mk 2 (F). It looks similar to the one on the right side of  No4Mk1's picture. This thing looks like it has been refinished but the guy he got it from said he got it in cosmoline. It looks like something one would get from Miltech.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A buddy of mine has a No. 4 Mk 2 (F). It looks similar to the one on the right side of  No4Mk1's picture. This thing looks like it has been refinished but the guy he got it from said he got it in cosmoline. It looks like something one would get from Miltech.

That is how they look brand new. The British finish them in that black paint stuff. Mine was new when I got it as well. Complete with serialed bayonet. It had some stacking marks on the stock, but perfect other than that.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]
No4Mk1, what would be the value of my buddys rifle? He has it on the rack at his store but doesn't know military rifles.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I love enfields!!! My favorite one is my #1 MkIII (no *) it, by the SN was manufactured in 1914.  Mag cutoff, WINDAGE ADJUSTABLE SIGHT too! The neat thing is it consistantly outshoots my .03 Springfield, which is no slouch either.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No4Mk1, what would be the value of my buddys rifle? He has it on the rack at his store but doesn't know military rifles.

If it has an import stamp on the barrel (probably Century... pretty sure all of these Mk2 were imported by Century) It is probably worth around $200.00. Does it have the matching serialed bayonet? If it doesn't have an import stamp... It's worth more. Can't really say how much though.

If it does have the century stamp, check the bore closely. The century gun monkeys like to hammer the stamp hard, and sometimes it will actuall deform the bore. My bore has a very (VERY) slight deformation. It shoots aroud 3MOA. My old 1942, with average bore, but excellent muzzle is a 1.5MOA gun. Enfields can be very accurate with the right ammo.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll go check it out tomorrow. It does have a bayo but I don't know if it's matching serial.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top