Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2002 9:36:26 AM EDT
I am purchasing a new barrel for my ar10 .308 I have the option of an R5 1/10 or Douglas XX Premium 1/10 blank to start with.  I have two very reputable individuals I am working with.  Which is the better blank and why? (cause I said so doesn't work here)  I know everybody has their favorites and I am not interested in a flame war.  I would really appreciate the info prior to committing to a custom barrel.  Either way I don't think I can go wrong.  

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I am going to try and make a comment, I beleive the R5 you refer to will have a polyagonal?(spelling) type rifling like the H&K sniper rifle or Glock pistols, less bullet deform when bullet travel through barrel, where the Douglas will be std cut groove-lands rifling.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Douglas uses button rifling,where a "button" is pulled through the blank to rifle the barrel,no metal is removed, button rifling is considered to be more accurate than cut rifling,How this stacks up against polygonal rifling I don't know, I do know I recently had a AR rebarreled using a Stainless Douglas air-gaged 22" long,1-9 twist, At 100 yds it shoots 3/4" or less with 69,60,gr bullets,(10rnd groups) (am going to try some 53gr serrias tomorrow) at 200 so far, my best group was with 60gr hornady v-max, which measured 1 1/2" for a 10 rnd group I'm very happy with the douglas bbl, I don't think you could go wrong there,  The R5, I don't know so I can't really comment on it, maybe somebody who knows will....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top