Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 11:37:36 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting an ACOG for my Bushmaster M4 type. I have the fixed carry handle and think for the $$$ the Reflex II may not be a bad option. With the fixed carry handle, I think I like the way the sight sits down in front of handle and allows use of the iron sights.

Any thoughts, suggestions from anyone out there about the Reflex??? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a Reflex II with the 4.3 MOA dot.  My reflex is mounted on a goose neck mount so I can retain use of the iron sights.  There are a couple of problems that I have with Reflex sights.  When aiming into bright daylight from a dark area the dot will "wash out" (disappear).  This can be solved to some extent with a polarizing filter.  Another issue is the use of the iron sights while the Reflex II is mounted.  Since the Reflex II sight uses one optical lens it distorts the actual alignment of the iron sights.   For instance, when aiming with the iron sights through a Reflex II, I was hitting about 2" - 3" low at 25 yards.  This problem can be over come by sighting in your rifle with the Reflex mounted.  But remember that when the reflex is removed that your guns point of impact will change.  Hope this helps.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used the Reflex II for sometime now and it's superb.  If you want precision shooting however you need to look for something else as mine has the 6.5 MOA dot reflex, but for what I need it's perfect.  By the way, US Coast Guard use them on their 870's.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got the RX01-14 with flattop mount on my M4, I tried the CQT but it's too big and heavy, so I stuck with the Reflex, good piece of kit IMHO
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my reflex, but more for a close and personal weapon, ie my 9mm carbine. For any longer range with a .223 I'd rather have a compact ACOG on the carry handle. That's just me, YMMV. But you'll be happy if you get one!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It is too dark.  Both the Eotech 552 and Aimpoint are better, and for just a few more bucks.

The Reflex does have a number of nice features.  The triangle recticle is great.  Amber really does work better than red.  It cowitnesses very well (with ARMS mount and spacer) and is rugged.

But it is too dark, and it has problems when you are shooting from the dark into the light. Azalin dicussed this problem above; unfortunately, the filter is a pretty poor solution.  These downsides outweigh its good features, especially given the imporoved battery lives of the competition.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
While the ACOG's Trijicon puts out are incredible (inluding the compact ones for carry handles), the Reflex sites are IMO crap. I would highly suggest an Eotech instead. They're awesome scopes, and very durable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like mine (12.5 moa triangle).  But it does have it's short comings as mentioned.  If I were to do it all again, I would opt for the new Trijicon TriPower.  
www.trijicon-inc.com/

Details: A brand new, super dependable reflex-style sight that features an
exclusive red chevron-shaped reticle illuminated by three lighting
sources:

* Integrated Fiber Optic System
* Tritium-Illuminated Reticle
* On-Call Battery Backup

The new TriPower has been designed with the following features to help
ensure quality, ease of use and versatility:

* 30mm tube allows use of easily available industry-standard 30mm
rings and scope mounts;

* 30mm diameter lenses;

* Completely sealed unit is waterproof to a depth of 100ft.(30 meters)

* Sealed external adjuster, adjustment range +/- 1 1/4 degrees;

* Objective and eyepiece are both threaded to allow mounting various
adapters, secondary mounts, Killflash (tm), and dust covers;

* External cover for reducing light from the fiber optic system in
dark conditions;

* BBAR coated lenses allow use of night vision equipment

* Increased brightness and reduced parallax compared to other red dot-
style systems.

Specifications:

Length: 127.0 mm
Width: 50.8 mm
Height: 53.3mm
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I own two Reflex's, one with the 6.5 dot and the other with the 12.5 triangle reticles.  I've had them for 2-3 years.  

Know upfront that I use these sights on weapons that are used only at the range, and I have no "tactical" requirements to meet.

I originally chose the Reflex due to the no-battery, & overall rugged design.  These are good pluses for this sight.

I'd have to agree with barrel_nut though that they are too dark, in reference to the tint in the lens.

Another point that bothers me is the (lack of) brightness of the reticle, primarily the 12.5 triangle.  I will be sending the Reflex II back to Trijicon for a look about this when I get back to the States.

I shot these rifles in an indoor range and the light illuminating the target caused me to be unable to see the Reflex's aiming point.  

No "tactical" problem here, but just an irritation that wouldn't have been a problem if I was able to "turn up" the brightness of the aiming point, like on an Aimpoint.

So add the dark tint on the lens, the non-adjustability of the reticle brightness, and now the Aimpoints 10,000 hour battery life, and your previous pluses are pretty much cancelled out.

My next sight purchase will be an Aimpoint.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an A2 upper with the Reflex 1 on it. Wash out can be controlled with the Flashkill instead of the polarized filter {they are crap / never use mine}. It's the way to go for me .Use BOTH EYES . Just put the dot on your target and you have a hit . And my rifle has the same point if aim with iron sights . Don't know what Azlan is referring to unless he does not have a mil-spec upper ? My Bushmaster is just fine .
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I have more than 20,and less than 200 reflex II's that I care for and keep track of operability on,and use.
We beat the crap out of them.
They work where others don't thanks to not needing battery's,wires,or LED's and the like.

We did a T&E on 7 different sighting systems including the Eotech,ACOG,and some that arent available to the public.

We went with the reflex simply for it's simplicity,reliability,ability to hold zero after getting smacked around.

Then again our position is that optical sights are an augmentation to the Irons simply for speed during CQB.

If it fails the irons will always be there,never lie,and will likely survive anythng that will otherwise trash the rifle.

Battery's wear out when constantly on,and reacting to a threat by first turning on the sight is just....well,silly.The issue of a lighted target from the dark is moot with training.
Use the irons that are clearly visible.
If it's an "Sh(&^!" reactionary shot,the triangle will grab the eye without time wasted aligning the irons.

It literally bridges the gap.

As a dedicated sight..I gotta agree wih some of the other guys.There is better,but none of them are as reliable as the irons the Reflex augments.

For the record we have trashed a couple reflex sights so far.And they were replaced By trijicon in short order even though it was obvious abuse.

All the current systems have strengths and weaknesses.Pick and choose based on your realistic needs.Not those of the folks that wont be next to you when SHTF.

One consideration is that if you intend the carbine to be used as a personal defense weapon,flipping the switch on the electro optics indicates forethought,and not reaction.
Forethought of violence isn't popular with Juries these days.

Just mad thoughts and my .02.
Choose the one that fits YOUR needs the best,and train like Hell with it.

Keep safe!
S-28

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I think for my needs, it sounds like the Reflex should be sufficient for what I intend to use it for. I appreciate all your time and input.

pomyc
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top