Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 9:56:42 AM EDT
My Armalite AR-15 was made some time in 1999, possibly 1998.  From what I've read here on this web site, I guess my gun doesn't have a NATO spec'd chamber, but a SAAMI spec'd .223 chamber.  Does that mean my 20" gun sucks????

Should I pay extra money and send my upper back to Armalite and have them install a NATO  20" barrel instead???  

Does it really make a difference????

My Bushmaster's barrel is NATO.  I checked all over my Armalite and nowhere on it does it say "NATO" or "N".  I read that Armalite didn't start producing NATO barrels until November of 2001.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Your ArmaLite does not "suck" !
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#2]
No, it doesnt suck at all. But a milspec 5.56 chamber will be able to use milspec ammo a bit easier and provides potentially better reliability.

Again, your Armalite does not suck, but a 5.56 chamber is more desirable on a field gun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Just because I have heard this crap, I bought some 5.56 Nato and fired it in my postban ArmaLites, preban ArmaLites, preban Eagle Arms, and postban Eagle Arms.  No problem whatsoever!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, thanks guys.....I was gettn worried.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
JUMPING JESUS CHRIST ON A POGO STICK, YOU SHOT SURPLUS 5.56 IN A SAAMI CHAMBER.  OH NO... WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE... WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE...

There's no real problem.  A NATO chamber will be a little looser.  For "safety's sake", be a little more aware of the kind of surplus (nothing really out of spec) you shoot in it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
JUMPING JESUS CHRIST ON A POGO STICK

I don't know why but that cracks me up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
JUMPING JESUS CHRIST ON A POGO STICK, YOU SHOT SURPLUS 5.56 IN A SAAMI CHAMBER.  OH NO... WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE... WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE...

There's no real problem.  A NATO chamber will be a little looser.  For "safety's sake", be a little more aware of the kind of surplus (nothing really out of spec) you shoot in it.

Actually, I did it because I don't believe they are SAAMI chambers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It doesn't suck. It just means that your barrel is designed tighter for more accuracy, not for pressure tolerances (which is a must when using 5.56mm).
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Your rifle does not suck whether it is .223 or 5.56mm. But the mil chamber is more desirable on a field gun. The reasons are that they tend to be a tad more reliable (keep your gun clean and you should be ok anyway) and the 5.56 ammo tends to be more effective. The increased velocity and design of M193 bullets leads to some fragmentation of the round out to about 200 yards and many find this desirable. However, the .223 with slower velocities and perhaps a different style bullet, may not perform the same.

But if you just want this rifle for targets and plinking, the .223 is fine. It might even be a better choice because the tighter chamber usually results in better accuracy. If you want it for home defense, then just buy some Federal Premium Trophy Bonded 55 gr SP's. These tend to hold together very well allowing deep enough penetration with good expansion to be effective. Other good rounds for this are the 64 gr Winchester Power Point Plus and the Black Hills 60 gr SP. While these are expensive, you would only need a few boxes. Use cheap FMJ for everything else.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#10]
You will put an eye out with that .223 chamber.  You better send it to me for proper disposal.  I'll cover shipping... Just to make the world a safer place.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Everyone is missing the point...you now have a valid REASON to go but another AR-15 :)
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You will put an eye out with that .223 chamber.  You better send it to me for proper disposal.  I'll cover shipping... Just to make the world a safer place.

WhataGuy !!  All in the name of world peace.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#13]
No, No, No... It does suck. You should give it to me so you do not have to suffer.... :))
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top