Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 9:52:23 AM EDT
My father-in-law has a Merkel, but the ammo has gotten VERY scarce since he got it back in the late seventies.  He still has a small cache of ammo, but we were thinking about reloading for it.

Does anybody else do this?  Norma sells components, but they are very expensive.  I have also read that people use 280 Remington loads for this caliber.

Anybody have any other info?  Sources for brass and other components?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's made, Dillon's should have it.

1-800-223-4570.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What caliber/gauge is it? I thought Merkel just made shotguns..I might be wrong
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Try: www.ows-ammunition.com Do a query on "7X65" and you should get what you want.  I assume this is a drilling.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What caliber/gauge is it? I thought Merkel just made shotguns..I might be wrong

It is a 7mm.  Merkel makes lots of different combination guns, mostly chambered in 20 ga, European calibers, and .22LR.  Some of them have 3 different bores!

His particular gun is a over-n-under 7x65R.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try: www.ows-ammunition.com Do a query on "7X65" and you should get what you want.  I assume this is a drilling.

They have brass at $9.43/20 which is expensive, but the cheapest I have found.  Thanks!

The dies are $65.84.  I don't know what shellholder to use though.

If 280 Rem loadings work in this caliber, they are easy to get.  I'll do more research though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
All I can find – hope it helps!

Edited to add that loads developed for a bolt gun might be a bit stiff for a drilling - or maybe not!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks 199!  That is exactly what I am looking for!

As to the Drilling vs. Bolt action, I suppose I would have to use the data listed and start 10% low.  He hardly ever shoots it, but uses RWS factory cartridges when he does, so those loads should be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top