Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 12:24:20 AM EDT
Just snagged one real cheap. It is a 12 gauge pump. It has beautiful wood and an external adjustable choke. Pistol grip with nice checkering. The stock has a built in compass in the stock!!!!!???? I guess I won't get lost from the car to the trap range. Picked it up so I can stop borrowing my father in laws 870 when we shoot trap. Any info on this gun????
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The 37 is a direct descendant of the Remington Models 1908/1910/1917/1929. The Model 1908 was designed by Irwin Pedersen and improved upon by John Browning as the Model 1910 (also called Model 10). The 20 gauge version of the Model 10 was introduced as the Model 1917 (Model 17). Later, both of these guns were replaced by the Model 1929 (Model 29) which is closer to the Ithaca in design (shell carrier with fingers instead of the previous one piece milled carrier).

Remington discontinued these shotguns in the early '30s in favor of their own in-house design, the Model 31 (a really slick pump gun). At the time, Ithaca was known primarily for their high grade doubles and trap guns. With a limited market for the high grade stuff, they puchased the now-expired Remington/Browning patents and modified the design to make use of more stamped parts. And thus, the Model 37 was born. A true and drastically underrated classic.

Kurt likes the pre-'87s due to their having the "slam fire" feature; i.e., you can hold the trigger down and continue firing as you work the slide. Pretty neat. Check out the Model 37s in Raising Arizona or in old footage of New York State Troopers at the Attica riots. They're proven and they've been around awhile.

Below is my Ultra Featherlight Model 37 in 12 gauge. A local shop was selling off an old inventory of NIB guns a few years back for a song- $275. I'd say out of all of my scatterguns, this is my favorite.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been a fan of the Ithaca's ever since I lived in an apartment building built on the former factory grounds in Ithaca.

Lightweight, dependable, and pretty good at trap.  I've shot 20's consistently with my 37 (30" barrel) until switching to a Beretta AL391 trap.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, it's spelled I-T-H-A-C-A, after the city in New York (named after the city in Greece).  About an hour southwest of Syracuse on Cayuga Lake.  It's the most most beautiful place on earth.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never shot one, how do you load the first shell? Is round one loaded with the action open or do you simply load them all into the mag tube, then shuck it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]

do you simply load them all into the mag tube, then shuck it?

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The only trick is there is an index finger release on the right front side of the trigger guard which must be pulled on to rack the first round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]

The only trick is there is an index finger release on the right front side of the trigger guard which must be pulled on to rack the first round in the chamber.

Only if the hammer is cocked. This "index finger release" is called a slide release or action release.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 37 in 16ga and 12ga. They were given to me by my grand father over 35 years ago. These are the only shotguns that I can't hit a pheasant with.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info...I just received a catalogue from Ithica..The gun I have is called the "Classic." It has a non vent 24 in barrel, and is a 12 gauge. The new catalogue doesn't seem to show what I have. I may shoot it tomorrow at range!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]

I just received a catalogue from Ithica[SIC].

For the last damned time, it's spelled I-T-H-A-C-A.

The gun I have is called the "Classic."

No it's not. Ithaca just came up with the "Classic" moniker within the last three or four years.

The new catalogue doesn't seem to show what I have.

Ithaca has made the Model 37 since 1937. That's 65 years. In that 65 years, they've manufactured and sold inumerable versions. Because your version isn't in the CURRENT catalog doesn't mean much. Mine isn't either.

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, OK, ITHACA!!!!!!! Less caffeine in your coffee please. In any event, thanks for your help....
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's a list of pre-'87 serial numbers on the Ithaca website:
www.ithacagun.com/factory/serial.html

There was a good discussion about Ithaca model 37s a few months ago. You might get some useful info in this topic:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=86629

And here's my 1966 model 37 riot gun:
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Having read post in reguards to the serial number several weeks ago.  I looked my Mod. 37 over and it has no serial number.  The only numbers are stamped on the bbl.  But nothing on the receiver. Can anybody shed some llight on this?
Bill
Simper Fi
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#17]

My little 16 gauge!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#18]
shadowjack1, the serial number should be on the right side of the receiver. Look at Kurt's picture above. See the two screws at the rear of the receiver? Look below the bottom screw, the one just above the safety. You're not the first one I've heard who couldn't find the serial number.

It seems the link I posted above to the discussion we had on this forum earlier got nuked in the forum upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Big-Bear
No serial number at all.  The gun was reblued once back in 74, I did the job myself.  I was a gunsmith in Beaufort SC, when I was in the Corps.
The serial number was not polished away, never would do a thing like that.  Cust. would have a big problem with things of this nature.  I'm not a newbe to guns, at the present time I have over 60, includeing a "lunch pail" .45 Colt.  I wounder if this could have been a "lunch pail" Ithaca, LOL.
Bill
Simper Fi
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
shadowjack1, that's strange, but I guess stranger things have happened. Could have been a lunch pail shotgun.

I wonder if it's a US military model 37, because those are worth quite a premium, especially in as-issued condition. Are there any other markings or cartouches on it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I know too many guys who love ithaca shotguns.......used to have a deerslayer myself.......BUT......870...."BEST SHOTGUN IN THE WORLD"...........
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
As far as the serial #`s.....there was a time when they were not required....OR...it could be from when the co. was closing out and the builder just did`nt care....it`s most likely a pre 70`s version when they did not serial the individual guns........if so..it may be one of the better made models ???.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#23]

I know too many guys who love ithaca shotguns.......used to have a deerslayer myself.......BUT......870...."BEST SHOTGUN IN THE WORLD"...........

Pardon me while I beg to differ, but you're full of SHIT. Does the 870 offer the slam fire feature? NO. The 37 does. Is the 870 an ambidextrous design? NO. The 37 is. Does the 870 offer an enclosed weather-proof receiver? NO. The 37 does. Does the 870 have a reputation as an ACCURATE slug gun? NO. The 37 does.

The only shortcoming of the 37 would be in a trap shooting situation. This is the ONLY area that the 870 has an advantage. If Ithaca had Remington's marketing people from the get-go, you'd be asking, "Has anyone ever heard of a Remington 870?"

As far as the serial #`s.....there was a time when they were not required....OR...it could be from when the co. was closing out and the builder just did`nt care....it`s most likely a pre 70`s version when they did not serial the individual guns........if so..it may be one of the better made models ???.....

What has the "'70s" got to do with anything? Firearms were not required to have serial numbers until the '68 GCA. Prior to serial #855,000 Ithaca didn't ofer readily interchangeable barrels and serialed the barrel to the receiver. I would imagine shadowjack1's Model 37 is an older model and I seem to remember seeing some of the really old 37s without a serial number on the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#24]
My field crew is carrying around an M37 along with the .375 for bear protection.  I cut the stock down for one of the smaller gals on the crew, and it works out well.  Ambidextrous and recoils less with the Brenneke slugs.  

I definitely like the Ithaca better than the 870, but it takes a little more time for me to clean out the receiver.  This is a bummer b/c it is raining excessively in SE AK this summer, and we are constantly falling in the dirt while wading around in logging slash.  

My personal pump gun is a 37 trap model manufactured in 1939, and it has a serial number.  

I think that the fellow from NY who thinks the Finger Lakes region is the most beautiful place on earth is a nice guy, but there are other "most beautiful places" on earth too.    

Unfortunately, SE AK ain't beautiful right now; it looks like Mordor.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a little FYI, it actually IS possible to load a round directly into the chamber, you just gotta work the foreend and have it in the right spot, but it is possible. Don't see a huge reason why it would be necessary though. '37s are awesome shotguns though , I need to find an excuse to use mine more.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Just a little FYI, it actually IS possible to load a round directly into the chamber, you just gotta work the foreend and have it in the right spot, but it is possible.

The Model 37 wasn't designed to be loaded in this manner. If that's the way you're shooting yours, then perhaps you need some proper instruction.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#27]
On the topic of ser. #'s, my Ithaca's have the serial # stamped in the front or face of the reciever along the edge between the barrel and the shell tube.
Tuco
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Well Jim, if you would quote the whole damn thing and not just the "sound bite" that works for you, you'll see where I said I could see no reason to do that. It was simply someone previously implying  that it couldn't be done that caused me to post. And no, I don't normally  operate it that way. Ease the hell up bud.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Well Jim, if you would quote the whole damn thing and not just the "sound bite" that works for you, you'll see where I said I could see no reason to do that. It was simply someone previously implying that it couldn't be done that caused me to post. And no, I don't normally operate it that way.

I replied to what you posted, and that was to something abnormal. Do you load the chamber in your AR15 first and then the magazine? Didn't think so.

Ease the hell up bud.

Uh, I ain't your "bud."
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Not in my AR, or my Ithaca's, but I do it all the time with my Benelli!  I have an older one, and can even load one in the chamber, and put another one on the loading gate, to have an extra round.  Cool feature!

The reason for it is to easily unload the chambered round and exchange for a different type of ammunition, say a slug, or some type of less-than-lethal round.

I know it's not an Ithaca, but wanted to point out a benefit of being able to load the chamber directly!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:30:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Not in my AR, or my Ithaca's, but I do it all the time with my Benelli! I have an older one, and can even load one in the chamber, and put another one on the loading gate, to have an extra round. Cool feature!

The reason for it is to easily unload the chambered round and exchange for a different type of ammunition, say a slug, or some type of less-than-lethal round.

I know it's not an Ithaca, but wanted to point out a benefit of being able to load the chamber directly!

You missed the point. The Model 37, like the AR, was not meant to be loaded in this fashion. To do so with a 37 is just absurd.

Well, that's not completely accurate. The present Ithaca Gun Company isn't really the same company that made the original model 37s. Ithaca gun went out of business for a period of time, I don't really know when, but I don't remember their being manufactured anytime in the past 20 years up until the company name was bought by a new bunch of investors and the new company started manufacturing shotguns again-maybe around the early 90's?

The original Ithaca Gun (located in Ithaca) went belly-up in 1987, at which time they were briefly acquired by Remington (DuPont) while Remington took the Mag 10 and re-engineered it into the SP10. The 37 was redesignated as the Model 87 (and took out the slam fire feature) and Ithaca Gun was then sold off. Production continued off and on for the next nearly ten years as they went through several reorganizations and owners. In late 1996, a group of former Ithaca Gun employees and managers bought the rights and machinery and moved the company to its present location, King Ferry, New York. So I'd say you're not entirely correct. The 37/87 shotgun was never out of production for an extended period of time and it's still being made by more or less the same people.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the new ones. I hear they are nice, but expensive.

They have a lot of tooling and grind marks as compared to the older 37s.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#33]
AH....somebody`s always gotta argue.......anyway...37`s aren`t more accurate than 870`s......and I THINK....1968 is PRE-70`s???????????................................(gee I sure like my model 37)
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#34]

AH....somebody`s always gotta argue.......anyway...37`s aren`t more accurate than 870`s

When was the last time you shot a Deerslayer with slugs? I'm guessing never. Ithaca uses (or used) the tightest bore dimensions of any slug barrel.

and I THINK....1968 is PRE-70`s???????????

Actually, I recall you opining that serial numbers weren't required until "the '70s," did you not? See the '68 GCA, THAT'S when serial numbers were required.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#35]
If you bother to re-read the post, you will see that is NOT what I said........
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Deerslayer with slugs?.....hhhmmm....last september.....that`s about 11 months ago....
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Anybody shoot the NEW Deerslayer III? It has the free-floated permanent (well sort of) attached barrel, and is supposed to be Hyper-accurate at longer ranges, like 200yards!

That would be cool, I think, and when they come out with the turkey version, another good defensive setup, I would think!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I replied to what you posted, and that was to something abnormal. Do you load the chamber in your AR15 first and then the magazine? Didn't think so.

I replied to what you posted!  It may be abnormal in a M37 or in an AR-15, but not in a Benelli, and the Benelli even engineered that as a feature, and a benefit!  I didn't want the poster to believe it's never done that way, and that there is a time, weapon, and place, for just such an action.  From your post, he might have gone away thinking it was never done in any weapon, and that's just not the case!

And techically, your first confirmation of ECS loading of the Ithaca, is wrong, and would lead him to have one shell short of capacity!  The proper way to load a *certain* shell first would be to insert in magazine, work the action so *that* shell would be chambered, then finish loading the magazine.  As an alternative, he could load the magazine first with the shell he wants chambered last, work the action, then load *another* shell in to the magazine.

Not that I'm so picky, but if we're going to be *CORRECT* about things, then let's be *CORRECT*!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#39]

And techically, your first confirmation of ECS loading of the Ithaca, is wrong, and would lead him to have one shell short of capacity! The proper way to load a *certain* shell first would be to insert in magazine, work the action so *that* shell would be chambered, then finish loading the magazine.

Uh, no, I'm not wrong.

Quoted:

do you simply load them all into the mag tube, then shuck it?

Yes.

I think ECS is probably smart enough to figure out how to top it off. Perhaps you make this little foible and that's why you bring it up. Don't forget to put gas in your car before you drive it.

It may be abnormal in a M37 or in an AR-15, but not in a Benelli, and the Benelli even engineered that as a feature, and a benefit! I didn't want the poster to believe it's never done that way, and that there is a time, weapon, and place, for just such an action. From your post, he might have gone away thinking it was never done in any weapon, and that's just not the case!

Was the topic Benelli shotguns? Didn't think so. Same comments about foibles as before. Maybe you're in need of proper instruction, too.

Quoted:
If you bother to re-read the post, you will see that is NOT what I said........

Actually you did.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#40]
No I didn`t.....and the only reason I`m bothering to respond is because you are such a arguementative asshole...who stated that I was FULL of shit (now...say that you did not say that) for simply posting my opinion......you are a person who likes to twist the words to fall into your little game........you can have all the ithaca model 37`s in the world and kiss my ass and go to hell......because you are....."FULL OF SHIT".......
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#41]

you are such a[SIC] arguementative asshole

No wonder my folks were so disappointed in me.

who stated that I was FULL of shit (now...say that you did not say that)

Was it not true?

you can have all the ithaca[SIC] model 37`s[SIC] in the world and kiss my ass and go to hell......because you are....."FULL OF SHIT".......

I'm thinking if you were to masturbate, it might relieve some of your tension.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Jim, you're too much fun. Really, it's fun tweaking you.  I miss my thick-headed old grandpa, and somehow you seem a mix of him and my little brother.

And your focus, now that's tunnel vision!

If I can put a another shell in my chamber tonight will my 1999 M3716 acquire slm-fire abilities?  When I first got it, it tried to dump the whole magazine in the chamber at the same time.  Made for a lot of fun in the dove field.

You know you were wrong about the loading thing in the beginning, though.  Topping off only counts *AFTER* you shoot one or more rounds, thus *topping off*

I think ECS is probably smart enough to figure out how to top it off. Perhaps you make this little foible and that's why you bring it up. Don't forget to put gas in your car before you drive it.

But he's not smart enough to know that you rack the slide to chamber a round, and needed your reassurance. It was just,,,,,wrong.

When you fill your car with gas, do you fill it 2/3 of the way full?  If he was shooting a restricted (3 rounds) magazine, you were telling him it was correct to have only 2 rounds in the shotgun!  Details man, details!

And finally, it was you who brought up an AR-15, and I didn't even bring up then, that 600 yard shooters load directly to the chamber, thereby disproving your point.  If you can bring another weapon in as an example of loading, then why can't I bring another weapon in as an example of loading.  At least my example was another shotgun.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#43]

You know you were wrong about the loading thing in the beginning, though.

Uh, no, I wasn't wrong. I give most people the benefit of the doubt that they have common sense, which appears not common at all in your case.

And finally, it was you who brought up an AR-15, and I didn't even bring up then, that 600 yard shooters load directly to the chamber, thereby disproving your point.

Gee, what're those funny followers for? You've gotten to the point that you're just pissing in the wind. You're trying to use circular logic to explain a point that just isn't there. What next? 1+3=5?
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Sorry Jim, but you're wrong.  (what's the "uh" about anyway) I like how you attack the message sender rather than answering.  It's a great technique, and I'm learning.

Actually I was taking your posts suggestions to their logical conclusion to make a point by absurdity.  I forgot you were from Oklahoma, sorry.

BTW, I'm two days away from getting my M37 Riot Gun!  I will have to see how many variable ways I can load it.  Will post pics of when I get it, and after I refinish the wood and Parkerizing.  It's going to be SWEET!

Jim. My wife likes the last word too, so go ahead!   Well,,,, not quite yet,,,,,

From Model 37 Owners Manual
Loading and Unloading
1. To load put on "safe" position by pushing from left to right. (reverse this for left-handed safety.)

2. To load magazine, close action by pushing forend forward

3. Place shell in bottom opening and push forward past shell stop.  Repeat until magazine takes 4 rounds (without plug).

4. Press action release, pull forend back to release shell from magazine, then push forward.

This ones for Jim.....

5. An additional shell may now be placed in the magazine for full capacity.

Note*** it says for FULL capacity!

6. To unload magazine, press down on magazine shell stop.

7. To unload chamber, push action release and pull forend back.

I guess they thought it important enough to include it in their instructions, so I'd like to think it a point that should be made.  The guy asked how to load the shotgun!

And finally, using snap caps tonight, I did load a couple of shells (one at a time) directly into the chamber.  With action open, you just push down on the loading bar, and presto, it's in.  However, I agree with Jim that one would almost never do that.  I think it could be hard on the extractor, among other things.

Also, Jim, was just having fun with you!  I appreciate the information you delivered. I apologize if I offended you in any way.  Just trying to lighten you up a little.  I'm sure you're a great guy, but your posts, without seeing you in-person, can seem to be lacking in common courtesy, that I'm sure would be there in a conversation.  That, or you might still be mad about last year's football season!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#45]
In before the lock.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Sorry Jim, but you're wrong.

Don't think so.

I forgot you were from Oklahoma, sorry.

And we know all of the great minds come from Florida, like Janet Reno!

Also, Jim, was just having fun with you! I appreciate the information you delivered. I apologize if I offended you in any way. Just trying to lighten you up a little. I'm sure you're a great guy, but your posts, without seeing you in-person, can seem to be lacking in common courtesy, that I'm sure would be there in a conversation. That, or you might still be mad about last year's football season!

Okay. Let's have a big hug (and don't grab my butt).

In before the lock.

Huh? Why would this be locked? We aren't bitching about a former advertiser (who shall remain nameless), no one has overtly attacked anyone else, no one has discussed anything illegal, and no one has been threatened with any violence (yet).
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#47]
You win. I have no come back for the Janet Reno, thing!  She is from South Florida, though.  However, the fact that you included the statement "great minds", and "Janet Reno" in the same sentence........

I agree with the NO butt grabbin rule, too!

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Damn!!!! I thought my original post was harmless.Didn't mean to cause WWIII!! Do I dare mention that I may have it reblued???? BTW, picked up a nice case for it at Gander Mtn today, 1/2 off.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top