Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2002 9:25:04 AM EDT

The headline is a little misleading, but I'd love to be able to use AK mags in an AR platform. Anybody ever seen one? I'm curious to know whether "Special Forces" actually use this rifle. Can anybody shed some light on this?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
KAC is doing these. They are going to be very, VERY expensive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]
So, does Knight manufacture quality stuff? Don't know much about them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Knight is a prime military contractor for small arms accessories and certain weapons.  Their RIS/RAS (and accessories) are in use with all US Special Operations forces and they hold patents for many of the concepts that are commonly seen today.  Their stuff is manufactured pretty well, and some of their designs are top notch, but some of their components have better counterparts with ARMS.  Pretty good stuff, all around.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, so they modified the mag well to take either mag. Big woop.  How the hell did they designa barrel for both 5.56 and 7.62 ??????????

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK, so they modified the mag well to take either mag. Big woop.  How the hell did they designa barrel for both 5.56 and 7.62 ??????????

well, I don't think they did. That's why the headline is a little misleading. You would need a 5.56 upper.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Something around $4000 - 'if' any are made for the civilian market.  Last I heard was maybe 100 SR-47's for civilians.  Good collector gun.
----------------------------------------------

Now under "Rumors and Bullschit", I also heard the development does not go well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
i heard that 4000 is a bit conservitive, and all said and done you would pay much much more for one. ar that takes ak mags would be sweet shit, but for its price a guy could but a pre ban ar, a pre ban ak, and a good used fishing boat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
YUK!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take your guys word for it, cause all I get is a blank white page...
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll take your guys word for it, cause all I get is a blank white page...

Same here
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
KAC had them at the SHOT show 2002

They were dubbed the sr-47.....

It's kind of a experiment being done at the request of the military.....especially the operators who have to go into the caves with limited amouts of ammo.

The gun would allow them to just pick up any spare mags left by the enemy which is definitely in abundance compared to the .223.

the company did initially say they might bring out a version for civvies, but then i heard them retract that statement after the shot show. I believe there wasn't enough of a stable marketing platform.
either way, you won't see any of them come up for sale to us civvies, maybe in a few years if they do go into a decent mass production for the military and if the public shows enough interest.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something around $4000 - 'if' any are made for the civilian market.  Last I heard was maybe 100 SR-47's for civilians.  Good collector gun.
----------------------------------------------

Now under "Rumors and Bullschit", I also heard the development does not go well.

Guess I'll admit that I kinda sorta have one on order.
Like I said, a good collector gun - if any SR-47's are actually made.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey guys,

I posted on that artical acouple weeks ago.

New here so I can't link the post but if you do a search  "cretescreeder"  you will see my first post.

There is a pic and good replys with more info.

For what its worth  

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally posed by 223-Buckaroo: "I have come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum."
 -Rowdy Rodd Piper  From "THEY LIVE"

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The main reason why I'd want one is for use with a Registered Drop In Auto Sear.  But I hear that if Knight does release it, it will be the whole gun not just the lower.  A registered AK is about 7K.  
Another option is that Robinson Arms may be making an AR lower also that accepts AK mags.  Don't know how true that is though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]
thats exactly what we need!!! a lower that will accept AK mags and function with colt and oly 7.62 uppers. i dont see why someone like Kurt Wala couldnt make one rather easily for a man of his talent
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, about the pic. I know it was working. Must be a bandwidth issue with Villiage Photos

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I get a blank page too...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#19]
It is rumored that Professional Ordinance is going to release an AR lower that will take AK mags. Haven't seen anything on their site though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Pic should work now- I hope.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I was set on buying a AR-10 from CFI in
Fort Worth.
When I saw the Knights SR-25 Match
sitting side by side with the AR-10, I had no
choice other than to buy the Knights SR-25.

The SR-25 fit and finish made the AR-10 look
and feel very cheap. Accuracy is great as well
.46 MOA

The only down side of the SR-25 is the price.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 3:43:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The main reason why I'd want one is for use with a Registered Drop In Auto Sear.

I was thinking along the same lines.. Problem is, that requires a full-auto bolt carrier, right?  The SR-47 receiver is longer than a normal M4 by 1/4".. The bolt carrier is longer as well- So you need a special longer carrier..and the one Knight's gives you isn't going to be the full-auto full-circle carrier... You'll have to find someone who can add on to the semi carrier or who can build you a whole new one..
 If I'm missing something here, help me out and cheer me up...
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:21:38 AM EDT
[#23]
The SR-47 project is now-and-then, at best. We just sent two of the original six back to the client for further T&E, so that may spark up some more development work ( I hope).

The price was very high for a reason... As someone mentioned, it takes proprietary upper and lower receivers that are 1/4-inch longer than normal, and so far those have had to be machined from billet on a four-axis CNC machine. The Bolt Carrier, Bolt, Extractor, etc, etc, are all new, also. (There is so much more to it than just re-facing a bolt to work with 7.62)

The gun does NOT work in both 5.56 and 7.62. It is a 7.62 platform only (will not take M16 mags, either).

16" free-floating Obermeyer barrel
2-stage full-auto trigger
7.62 version of the M4-QD Suppressor

Hope this helps,
havoc
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:24:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The main reason why I'd want one is for use with a Registered Drop In Auto Sear.

I was thinking along the same lines.. Problem is, that requires a full-auto bolt carrier, right?  The SR-47 receiver is longer than a normal M4 by 1/4".. The bolt carrier is longer as well- So you need a special longer carrier..and the one Knight's gives you isn't going to be the full-auto full-circle carrier... You'll have to find someone who can add on to the semi carrier or who can build you a whole new one..
 If I'm missing something here, help me out and cheer me up...

There is a little dohicky available (Bushmaster sells them, or you can make one) that bolts inside the tail of your semi-auto carrier. This makes the lip on the front of the tail long enough to trip the auto-sear or DIAS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top