Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2002 10:30:32 PM EDT
My local dealer is offering me a norinco MAK 90, plus 3 30rd mags (and 4 10rd) for $400.  He's not sure if its a pre or post ban (he got it for his personal collection, says about 10 or more yrs ago, but not sure).  The rifle is in great shape, hardly shot at at all.  It also has a threaded barrel (but no break or flash hider).  Does anyone know if this sounds like a good deal?  Also, if it has the threaded barrel then is it probably a pre ban?  I don't want to ask him that, cause I don't want the price to suddenly jump up if I bring it to his attention.  Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
All MAK-90 marked AKs are post-ban. It stands for Modified AK 1990. So if it says MAK-90, it's a post-ban. Pre-ban guns will say various things, but none will say MAK-90 because they didn't mark them that way until 1990.

Sounds like it's in illegal configuration, MAK's usually go for $300-$350, so it sounds a bit high.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
If the receiver is stamped MAK-90, NHM-90, MAK-91, or NHM-91 it is preban.  It should not have the threaded barrel.  If you do buy it you will have to permanently attach a brake or muzzle nut over the threads.  

$400 is a little high for my area.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
There was no Assault Weapon Ban in 1990. As the MAK-90 was built to get around the 1989 "Import-Ban" by Bush Sr..Thus the rifle is Pre-Ban by date,, but other restrictions apply I think.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#4]
A few MAK 90s were sold with the threaded muzzle, and it is generally held that these guns were in the pipeline as AKs, and were converted after the Bush Chinese Import Ban went into effect.  I have seen a few of these, legitimately NIB with receipts, etc., come out of the woodwork recently.  The going rate for MAK 90s in my area is $350, and $400-$425 for NIB with all the accessories.  30 rd mags can be found for $6 ea. on up depending on condition and quantity bought.

That is not a particularly good deal, IMO.  

Also, if you have any thoughts of converting it to pistol grip config, then you need 4 US parts.  A US stock set with pistol grip would count as three (upper and lower HG count as one part) and you would need like a US hammer or trigger or mag followers or floorplates to make up the additional part.  So adding for all that, it is at least another $100, and now you've paid $500 for what $300-$350 would buy in a Romanian SAR-1.  I won't debate which is "better", I am just comparing two stamped receiver AKs with like features.

If he won't flex on the price, I'd walk.

Noah
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Mak90's IMHO are one of the better AK out there.  Smooth triger and nice reciever finish.

I have one that was actually made in 1990, you can tell because the first two #'s in the seial number refer to the year made.  Mine does have a threaded barrel with a muzzle "cap".  Yes all Maks are post ban, I personally would pay around $350 for it.  But if you can't find one anywhere else and you really want it then I guess $400 is okay.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]
So you guys say it's preban??  so then you could put an underfolding stock on it??

I dont think so, I thought all mak 90's were post ban.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
thanxs for the info guys.  I talked him into 375, so i'm gonna take it.  guess that I'll have to get a muzzle break though?  Any one know if the pin on types will work on the threaded barrel? or will I have to find one with threads?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You might want to ask this over at ak.ar15.com. Although there is knowledge all over this place, a lot of the AK knowledge hangs out over there :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top