Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2002 5:50:48 PM EDT
can anyone recomend a match grade trigger for a 10/22

i am kind of looking at the Volquartsen outfit but i am open to suggestions.

i have installed a JP trigger in my 2 ar15's and they have realy spoiled me.
i would like to get an adjustable trigger like the JP for my 10/22

thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a JP guy too.  There is no need to go any farther in your search than the VOLQ.  Gte the whole kit, it will do what you want it too.  It is not adjustable however.  You will love it. I do.

txlewis
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Volquartsen is overrated CRAP. The factory trigger group can be reworked by Connecticut Precision Chambering with a helluva lot better results. I've had four rifles done by them thus far. Fast turn around (not as fast before anyone knew about them). They're a frequent contributor on Rimfire Central.com.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Well my crappy Volquartsen tigger asssembly 2000 is smooth as silk and adjusts very nicely thank you.

I paid about $170 for the complete CNC cut assembly from Brownells that dropped right in. I enjoy the larger magazine release and wider trigger area of the Volquartsen too.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello,
here is the parts that i went with .

TS2

Volquartsen parts::
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1842947553

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree with Jim_Dandy's comments about Connecticut Precision Chambering...they do terrific work on a 10/22....
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like my Power Custom set-up. I have the hammer and sear kit, and the titanium trigger. I haven't actually measured the pull, but it is very light and consistent.

Edited to add:
They are also a class act to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with Paul, Volquartsen makes the best parts available for a 10/22.  I bought their upgrade kit, but if I had it to do over, I'd by the cnc machined Triggerguard 2000.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Well my crappy Volquartsen tigger asssembly 2000 is smooth as silk and adjusts very nicely thank you.

I paid about $170 for the complete CNC cut assembly from Brownells that dropped right in. I enjoy the larger magazine release and wider trigger area of the Volquartsen too.

Yet CPC can modify the factory assembly for just $83 with shipping. For the price of the Volquarsten, CPC can perform an entire tuneup on a factory rifle that'll make it shoot circles around the duded up rigs. No bragging, no trash talk, just the facts. And I don't receive any compensation for the good words.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I think CPC is going to get my business.  I've been eyeing the Volquartsen stuff, but I couldn't see spending more for the trigger group than my wife spent on the entire rifle.  $83 including shipping seems like a helluva deal!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I slapped a Volquartsen hammer in my stock trigger group, an it smoothed it up REAL nice.  It's probably not as nice as some other custom trigger assemblies, or even the complete Volq. trigger group, but it's nice enough for me.

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Matthew Q.

I dropped a Volq target hammer into my 20+ year old trigger group, slapped on a Clerke Barrel and a Hogue overmolded stock, used a Volq scope base and put on a Leup I wasn't using.

Groups the first time out were 1/2" ragged hols for TWENTY shots at 50 yards.

Call me cheap, but that $30 Volq trigger mod is all I need.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I have no personal experience with replacement 10/22 triggers. Sadly, I'm still using the factory trigger. But I did an internet search a while back. The results are at billstclair.com/ruger-triggers.html

The 'KID' Two-Stage Match Trigger looks quite nice, though at $300 it ain't cheap.

I haven't seen anybody compare the KID and the Volquartsen. Both appear to be nice products.

[edited to fix a URL]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#13]

I have to agree with Jim_Dandy's comments about Connecticut Precision Chambering...they do terrific work on a 10/22....

I think CPC is going to get my business. I've been eyeing the Volquartsen stuff, but I couldn't see spending more for the trigger group than my wife spent on the entire rifle. $83 including shipping seems like a helluva deal!

Unsolicited testimonials.

dropped a Volq target hammer into my 20+ year old trigger group, slapped on a Clerke Barrel and a Hogue overmolded stock, used a Volq scope base and put on a Leup I wasn't using.

Groups the first time out were 1/2" ragged hols for TWENTY shots at 50 yards.

Call me cheap, but that $30 Volq trigger mod is all I need.

No, I won't call you cheap. You spent money on a barrel and stock. I had CPC perform complete tuneups on my guns that included, barrel setback, recrowning, refacing of the bolt to offer minimum headspace and better cartridge alignment, jeweling of the bolt, modification of the bolt release, trigger modification with anti-slack and overtravel screws, etc. They also offer a clean out hole in the rear of the receiver at no additional charge.

Of the four I've had tuned up, all would produce the same results as yours, 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and with whatever happens to be on sale at Wal-Fart to boot. CPC claims that they can improve upon that if producing a custom barrel for $112 including S&H plus the cost of the barrel blank.

From CPC's website:

The idea remains to accurize firearms using skilled labor instead of crappy add on parts.

• CPC reworks the factory trigger pull to a lightened excellent single stage trigger, removing slack and creep and adding an overtravel stop.

• CPC sets barrels back then fits a rotating reamer pilot exactly to the individual bore diameter and hand chambers. This totally concentric chamber throat, at minimum depth, creates accuracy.

• CPC indicates the bore within .0002", then cuts a new 11° recessed target crown sharp for more accuracy. Same with new barrels.

• CPC reworks the bolt to eliminate flyers.

I especially like this part so much, I'll repeat it:
The idea remains to accurize firearms using skilled labor instead of crappy add on parts.

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Five or six years ago, when no one knew Randy Meeks, he had a guaranteed turnaround of one week or LESS. Now that he has a little notoriety, he's a little like KKF. The last time I had him do some tuneups for me, which was last fall, it was about six weeks turnaround. Still well worth the wait.

Below is a picture of one of mine showing the jeweling.

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#16]
IMHO,

Tony Kidd "Super Match"

Extended magazine release
Auto bolt release.
Adjustable from 6oz to 13oz two-stage trigger.

Just drop it in your 10/22.  Kidd will also fit it to the Volquartsen Custom rifle.

I have 3 TG2000s and one Tony Kidd.

Ounces vs Pounds even with custom gunsmithing a Ruger factory trigger.

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I made the mistake of spending about $200 on a Power custom set up. It was good but my gunsmith did a $35.00 trigger job that was excellent. The sad part is he said he coud do the same job with factory parts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]

The sad part is he said he coud do the same job with factory parts.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
JIC y'all are interested.

The top is the Volq. TG2000
The bottom is the Kidd "Super Match"

a3.cpimg.com/image/21/6C/11566113-9336-01240190-.jpg
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Jim Dandy,

I DO take exception to your Volq. "crap" remark!

I'd put my Volq. Custom DeLuxe .22Magnum up against ANYTHING that you can piece together!

I love CPC and Randy is "good people" no doubt about that! But!  Volquartsen took the 10/22 and perfected it.

a7.cpimg.com/image/99/36/11413657-289a-01CC008C-.jpg
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The Volquartsen TG2000 rocks!  Clyde at www.applegatesports.com has them for $179.50(IIRC...this may even include shipping).    

Ruger 10/22, 1976
WhistlePig 20" Matte Aluminum barrel
Volquartsen TG2000
Volquartsen extractor
Power Custom buffer
Power Receiver Scope Mount
Houge Overmolded .92 Stock
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#22]

I'd put my Volq. Custom DeLuxe .22Magnum up against ANYTHING that you can piece together!

Gee, I'm shooting modified factory guns, and you're piecing things together from overpriced junk. Again, who's piecing together guns? That's what I thought.

Volquartsen took the 10/22 and perfected it.

And you know this for a fact how? Paraphrasing LBJ, "Boys, I may not know much, but I know the difference between chicken shit and chicken salad."

Jim Dandy,

I DO take exception to your Volq. "crap" remark!

So what? You're now suffering from buyer's remorse (AKA ate up with the dumbass) over shooting an $800 squirrel rifle/plinker that shoots no better than my $350 investment and you're pissing and moaning? Too bad, too sad. Get over it.

"The idea remains to accurize firearms using skilled labor instead of crappy add on parts."

And for what it's worth, the Volquartsen crap I've examined and TRIED to use has displayed poor machining compared to factory parts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#23]
i love it when you ask a simple question and two a-holes have to start a pissing match on your thread.

thanks for the advice.
i will get the Volq. TG2000 and do the work myself.

Jim_Dandy,
i hope the work CPC does is better than your atitude about the competition.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Jim_Dandy,
i hope the work CPC does is better than your atitude about the competition.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em. You'll wonder why you spent so damned much money on the doodads.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Shadows,

Sorry to have to tell ya.

Clyde Hooper passed away about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

He suffered a heart attack while driving from the East Coast.

The members at RFC purchased a memorial plaque and presented it to his family.  He was a good friend to ALL.

Dandy,

STUFF IT!

The Volq. Rifle is a completly newly designed rifle. NO Ruger sh*t at all!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Dandy,

STUFF IT!

The Volq. Rifle is a completly newly designed rifle. NO Ruger sh*t at all!

Uh, no, it still uses the same basic design. It has its own price tag. It doesn't shoot any better than a modified Ruger, just costs more. Might be impressive in some circles, but not in this one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes!  You are correct that the Volq. is based on the Ruger design, but, as I mentioned.... they corrected the Ruger's faults.

The receiver, bolt, are much more well designed.

Example: The recoil spring rod, passes thru the bolt, instead of along side it.  There are other improvements that are noticable to those of us that own both. My "tricked out" Ruger 10/22Magnum is NO match for the Volq.

Ya know, The world is constantly evolving, new knowledge is gained everyday,  Why are some people so resistant to the experiances that others might have?

Dandy,  

Is it that hard for you to accept, the fact, that in this particular subject someone out here just might have a tad more experiance?

There ARE some of us curious and lucky enough to be able to try everything available and see for ourselves what's what.  

O.k. I'm off my soapbox!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#28]
O.k.,

Just one more comment, than I'm done! LOL!

Dandy,

This is my "Volqenruger".  Original "single-extractor" model, 10/22Magnum.

Everything has been done to it that you can think of to "trick it out"!

USBR target score @25yds. 250-8X.
Volquartsen Custom Magnum = 250-23X

That's a Weaver T36 scope. I have two of them, one on each rifle. I don't scrimp.

I don't mind tellin' ya. You really frosted my tail!

a3.cpimg.com/image/03/10/11690243-6c36-01F400A5-.jpg
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Dandy,

Is it that hard for you to accept, the fact, that in this particular subject someone out here just might have a tad more experiance?

Uh, who said anything about experience? I've been pointing out that 99.9999% of the doodad add-on crap can be outperformed by good machine work. Like I said, no bragging, no trash talk, just facts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#30]

I don't mind tellin' ya. You really frosted my tail!

There's nothing that CPC can't equal or outperform for a fraction of the price. Get over it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#31]
308wood,

Sorry, I got sidetracked.

You DO have some options....

--Rework the Ruger factory trigger
--Drop-in some after-market parts
--Buy a complete Volq. drop-in assembly
 (2.5lb pull right out of box)

The lowest pull that you can achieve "safely" with the above is around 2.0lbs. (bump-firing).

If you need a lower pull than 2.0 lbs, than save up for a Kidd 6oz. 2-stage trigger. (adjustable to 13oz.)

Dandy,

Thank You for the fine conversation.  Happy Shooting!

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Another place for Ruger work is Chief AJ's.
The work is good and the price is fair, being comparable to the others mentioned.    My mini will shoot 1" @ 100 yds.  The 10-22 will do the same at 50.  The 10-22 with fluted and comped bull barrel will drive carpet tacks.

I had checked around and found his work recommended with no complaints other than he can be a bit windy at times.  

What sold me was learning he had fixed up one of the guy's 10-22's for his 8 year old son.  He put a cut down stock on it to fit the boy, and gave it a basic tune up job.  All this at no charge.He did a similar gesture with my boy and a throwing knife when we stopped to see his work and tell him my ideas.  I asked about buying a knife for the boy and he said no charge that he enjoyed encouraging youth in shooting and Indian Lore.

Any one who takes an interest in helping kids is A OK in my book.  Especially when they do good work to boot.

His email:  [email protected]
  I'll get the links learned one of these days.

phone:  217-253-2959

Web site is chiefaj.com  but no 10-22 info at moment; mini, Rowland, and  others on there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top