Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2002 5:38:28 PM EDT
It looks pretty cool but is abusive as hell.  What does everyone else think?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello.

I have two ar15s with this brake and it is literally blowing everything near off whenever I pull the trigger. Not to mention it is noisy as hell!

But I do agree that it looks pretty on 14.5"s.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I get mine tomorrow or Weds. I can't wait to expirience what everyone is talking about. I've heard alot about the mini-Y on here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Y comp on my 20" gun.It works great,but it is too damn loud.I'me going to remove it and use a Wilson or cav-comp.fwiw
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I LIKE IT!

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The volume never seemed to bother me, but the back blast could knock out some fillings if you aren't careful. I think I can honestly say that I will never own a rifle with one attached to the end of it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The sound never bothers me, but the concussion when used with hot ammo like the XM193 is just vicious. The Swiss 62gr ammoman is selling right now seems relatively mild with the Mini-Y

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The sound doesn't bug me outdoors.
It's the damn blowback.
Pretty effective brake though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I really don like the sound of the mini y comp. I used to have a Bushmaster with the AK brake and it was not that loud. I liked the AK brake.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Good brake, but I just hate it when the gas gets into your face.  If you want attention at the range, get it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Bushy M-4gery with the mini Y comp.  The blast you feel when you pull the trigger is great AND loud.  In fact, I wear soft ear plugs UNDER a set of regular muffs.

I agree its brutal, I will not buy another rifle with one BUT I certainly will not remove mine or re-bbl the rifle to get rid of it.

The only down fall is if I ever need a rifle for a SHTF situation, I better not grab it (hell I have plenty of others) because it will seriously screw up your hearing as I did some experminting to see just what I could and could not do in an emegrency.

I figure it this way, my dad once put glass packs on the family van when I was a kid, when asked why, he replied "because gas costs so much now (gas crunch late 70's)...I want to hear it when I burn it".  Thats how I feel about ammo costs etc...I want to hear AND feel it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's the most effective brake I've used but the noise nearly blows my eardrums out. It's guaranteed hearing loss if you find youself in a self-defense situation without hearing protection.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=134767
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Bushmaster M4 with the Mini Y Comp.. The blast bothered me at first.. but I got used to it after 100 rounds or so.. I've shot XM193 almost exclusively and it doesn't bother me.. The reason why the brake is so loud is because it does what it's SUPPOSED to.. It's very effective.. the more effective the louder.. it's how things go.. a quiet brake doesn't work. :) My 6lb rifle sits damn near completely still when fired off sandbags, that's when shooting XM193.. It works great for rapid fire, too.. Shooting any 14.5" barreled auto with hot ammo will hurt your hearing, whether there's a brake or not. :) Having the brake blow everything away on the bench is kinda cool, like shooting a miniature .50BMG or something.. hacko.gif
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought my M4 Is this the mini-Y comp everyone speaks of?

http://home.attbi.com/~kkristek/P1002065.jpg

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to remove it, IF I ever wanted to? Bushmaster says it Permanently fixed on - So I would assume I cannot remove it without some major surgery of some kind..

When we took this too the range for the first time last weekend, luckily there wasn't many people there.. But my brother who was shooting my AK right next to me on another bench said he could feel the gas coming at him.. I didnt notice any gas and it didnt seem any real louder to me then the AK did shooting baurnel (typo, Its wolf type russian ammo).. But then again we were shooting federal red box... maybe its weaker ammo... Just got some PMP SA battle pack ammo and intend to go to the range tomorrow.. I wonder if i'll notice how much louder it is.. My brother and cousin were telling me it was pretty loud :) I just hope i dont piss someone off next to me who can feel the gas coming at them at a zillion miles an hour :) hehehe...
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats the one..

I have praised them in the past, but I finnaly got rid of mine, I traded the upper for An identical one but with a Phantom FS (for my preban of course)
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine works great! I shot off a quick ten round burst (trigger control my friend) and the only movement was from jerking the trigger. Ten bullet holes all in a horizontal row. Awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#16]
15th most dead-horse-beaten topic ever. Loud? Yes. Louder than anything else out there, don't think so. Incredibly effective and allows for very nice control in rapid fire.

Without hearing protection it wouldn't be fun, and for that reason I have my doubts as a home-defense weapon, but remember... enclosed indoors it's not going to be much louder than any other AR since the frontward concussion  with a crowned barrel is going to reflect backwards anyways.

Everyone has a personal preference, and this one comes heavily under personal preference.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used many a comp on my 16" M4. I have used the mini Y Comp (loud) smith arms (loud) cav comp (quiet, not as effective). I have just mounted a AR-15 MICULEK COMP . This thing is awesome. It's quiet and you have 0 muzzle jump and recoil. Thanks Jerry

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a Bushy M4gery with a Mini-Y Comp and it is very impressive in terms of performance. I've even got video footage of Garandman and me of shooting our ARs in a combat shoot and there was absolutely no movement of the weapon during rapid fire. None. Due to the weather conditions, you can actually see the gases shooting out of the ports.

Loud? Sure. Doesn't seem to be any louder than other muzzle brakes that I have. It is definitely more effective than the others, though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I never realised how bad some ammo stinks till I shot my y-comp breaked rifle, even my Armalites don't have anywhere near that much backblast.
It does have one advantage, when you are shooting compatition against someone, side by side it will ruin his concetration and sight picture.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I love mine.  Yeah, the 'shockwave' hits you square in the face but, its not at all distracting if you fire it at least once in a while.  (besides, it keeps the mosquitos away!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top