Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2002 3:44:53 AM EDT
Just purchased my first full size Springfield 1911-A1, I will go to the range sometime next week. Are the mods such as trigger,hammer,springs and others worth the effort,time and cash? Or leave it factory original..
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#1]
it really depends on what you want to do with it. do you want to carry it, or just shoot paper with it?

i have spent around $150 bucks on my carry pistol, but that's just my 2 cents.

colt
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one and for the most part I would say leave it stock, (if the trigger is good,) only other thing you might want to do is replace the recoil spring if shooting stout loads.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt: Thanks for the response, most likely it will be a range and home defense implement only, kind of big and heavy to carry.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd wait til I shot it and then think about doing any mods like trigger job, reliability fixes, etc.  I don't shoot really stout loads so I don't worry about changing springs or adding recoil buffers or anything like that but that's just me.

I'm assuming you've got a loaded model that already has night sights on it.  If it doesn't, I would definitely add those if the pistol is going to be used for home defense/self defense at all.

I hope you enjoy your Springer as much as I do mine.  I wouldn't trade my parked SA Loaded 1911A1 for anything.

PS I'm a WV boy, too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on which model you got, if it has the mil spec grip safety, I'd replace that with a nice beavertail model. Other than that I just shoot it....ECS
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Springfield makes a good pistol righ tout of the box.  Except for sights or safeties I would leave it alone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're just using it for home/range I'd change only what **I** felt needed changing. My SA was mil-spec & I had better sights & a trigger put on. SA is the ONLY mfgr to still use a two-piece barrel, less than acceptable accuracy, IMO. I had a Wilson NM barrel installed. What do I have now? A 1911 that shoots as good as a Gold Cup for about half the price.
My .o2
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the information. I will play first and than take and steps that may deem necessary.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
On my Mil-Spec 1911-A1 from Springfield I gutted all the internals and went with Wilson combat. A major improvement with the Wilson parts.  I used their economy hammer and sear, springs, shockbuff, 19# hammer spring, and the ambi safty( I am a lefty).  Then I replaces the hammer spring housing with a Smith & Alexander beveled magwell and a bevertail safety. The  beaver tail was easy to install all that was needed was my dremmel tool. Those mods made a world of difference on the performance of the gun!! Now the slide is housing a 400CORBON barrel from Ed Brown. If you have not played with 400CORBON you need to! It is fast and hits like a hammer!! You may not got the same route I did completely, but atleast do the 19# hammer spring and the economy hammer and sear from Wilson combat. You will be glad you did!!

I left out that I also use Wilsons Group Gripper 2 piece guide rod, and yes it does make a difference in your group sizes!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Like others have said, shoot it first and then fix what you don't like about it.  You should break it in before thinking about spending money on a trigger job, reliability fixes, etc.

Instead, spend some cash on good mags.  And then take it to the range and shoot it like you stole it.  

After you've put 500 or 1000 rounds through it, you'll know what it needs.

Have fun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top