Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2002 12:26:48 PM EDT
I have recentley purchased a Colt AR15A3, and as being a lefty, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about putting an ambi safety on it.  I'll be using it for tactical/duty use, so a positive and quick engagement and disengagement of the safety is a must.  Where the standard safety is at makes it a little cumbersome using the rife left handed.  I've also heard that Colts dont accept aftermarket accesories, but don't know if that is true.  I'm not sure if an ambi safety is possible, but any help would be appreciated.  thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
my colt has an aftermarket ambidextrous safety that i installed myself.  It was easy.  the safety of all AR15's is the same size part and you wil have no problem using any aftermarket safety.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
 Don't know who told you that 'aftermarket' acces. don't work on Colts, but they're wrong on the ambi-safety[and a bunch of other stuff I use!]. Liked the old SS Safariland selector the best, but Brownells ambi works fine[they're on the web: brownells.com].
 All my AR's have ambi-selectors/safetys-and they're ALL aftermarket selectors. Don't think crummy Colt even makes one-they oughta be mil-spec.! Ghost
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanx guys, appreciate the help.  I agree that an ambi safety should be standard on the m16 family of rifes.  I mean us lefties are about 10% of the population.  Heckler and Koch put them on their rifles/submachine guns.  again, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Put one on my A2. I love it!
AB

Oh yeah! Make sure ya get a forged one, not the "stamped" one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm righty, but I find that the ambi-safety works very conviently for me 1) I activate/de-activate the safety with my right fore-finger which is a a quicker than the right thumb, at least for me; and 2) I can feel the arm of the safety on my right fore-finger, then I know its in fire position. I'm using the Bushmaster ambi-safety.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm also a lefty, and I must say that an the ambi safety is one of the best upgrades I have put on my Colt.  I believe it cost me $20.

I don't know the manufacture (DPMS, I think) but it dropped in very easily into my Colt.  Just had to remove the grip, remove the old safety, drop the new one in.  It is held in place by an hex screw in the left half of the safety.

Also have the tac-latch, and it is also a worthwhile upgrade (about $15).

Been considering a Norgon ambi mag release, but they are a bit pricey ($90).
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're a new, or fairly new, AR shooter, by all means get the ambi safety. I put one on one of my ARs a couple of years ago, with the idea that if I liked it, I'd get them for the other two. Unfortunately for this AR shooter of over 25 years, I am so used to doing the job with my left forefinger, most of the time I don't use the ambi lever.  Oh well!!!  

I do agree however, Colt should have put these on right from the jump.  Us southpaws have been an oppressed minority for too long
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top