Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2002 8:47:38 AM EDT
OK, so I took up a collection at work to buy a retirement gift for a friend, thinking a Marlin Model 17vs would be the perfect choice.  Now I have the cash, but, alas, nobody has the rifle (sniff).  Anybody know when Marlin plans on cutting these loose?  I have called three states looking for one and found alot of "should have one soon" but none in stock.  I have also noticed the prices range from $270 to $385.  Seemed to be a pretty big price spread.  Last question is who has the absolute best prices on aluminum rifle cases.  If I have enough extra, I would like to pick one up for the rifle.  Had a friend was going to build a wood presentation case, but backed out due to lack of time.  Can anybody clue me in?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You gotta be kidding me.  Nobody even has a good source for reasonable aluminum cases?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Pro Bass, or is it Bass Pro? Anyhow that's where I got my two. I think they are about $80 buck a pop. Hope that helps. One other thought, try calling Youngs Guns at 931-372-7640 for that Marlin If anyone gets the new stuff it always seems to be him. Good Luck. I retired 3 years ago, you want to take up a collection for me to?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Young's Guns shows one allocated.  Get this though, they even beat Wal-Mart's price by $4.  Hmmmmmmmm....maybe a collection to get me one next.  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the 17HRM frenzy, the good news guns are starting to make it to the waiting dealer, bad news supply and demand, above retail cost in most cases, how bad do you want one. I've been waiting 4 months for a NEF 17, I could have bought a Ruger the other day for 419.00 but I couldn't justify it. Volquartsen going to make a custom semi auto for 900.00 but that allot of bank for a rimfire. I'm thinking I'll get the NEF for now and when the frenzy decreases and prices start to level off, Ill give my boy the NEF and buy the semi.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
my local dealer has (12)...........NEF .17hrm's
139.00+ tax.......i think I am going to pic one up for JR he is 12 and needs to step up from a 10/22
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I too had been very interested in the Marlin17VS.  After weighing all of my options and doing some research, I opted for the Ruger.  If you can get one in the $400 range, that is a good deal.  I got mine for $435 and have seen them as high as $585.

I am a little disappointed in the ammo prices though.  Marketed as "comparable to .22WMR".  Ummmm, no.  More like double the price of .22WMR ammo.  

On the up-side, it rips through diggers like a .22LR or .22WMR can only dream about.  And accuracy? My first impression was "this out of a stock rimfire?"  First 3 shot group measured .587 @ 100 yards, prone from a bi-pod.  Two were touching and the third was just a hair off.  I thought it was a fluke and had another guy fire a three round group.  .889" @ 100.  

I think that no matter what rifle you decide on, you will be pleased with the results of your new toy.  I almost wish I had waited for an NEF, but instead I am now holding out for a Thompson barrel in .17HMR.  

I wish I could be more helpful answering your  "where the hell do I get one " question.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Marlin has really pissed me off with the way they're getting the 17VS out. The only way I can get one for stock is to buy 5 lever actions of different calibers and I'll get 1 17VS for free. HEY MARLIN  THIS SUCKS. I could sell all the 17's I could get but the lever actions they want you to buy don't sell well. Screw them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#8]
What are you .17 shooters doing for cleaning rods?  Air rifle cleaning rods?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What are you .17 shooters doing for cleaning rods?  Air rifle cleaning rods?

yes
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Since it is a rimfire and not a highly tuned precision rifle, I have been using a .17 bore snake.  I am not putting a ton of rounds through it and it seems to be working just fine.  I went ahead and bought a Dewey rod and some .17 brushes and patches for cleaning after heavy shooting, but I prefer the bore snake just for simplicity.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Marlin has really pissed me off with the way they're getting the 17VS out. The only way I can get one for stock is to buy 5 lever actions of different calibers and I'll get 1 17VS for free. HEY MARLIN  THIS SUCKS. I could sell all the 17's I could get but the lever actions they want you to buy don't sell well. Screw them.

I got this story from two dealers here.  One did tell me that Savage plans to flood the market real soon (within a couple of weeks) which should force Marlin to come up off theirs.  The reason I am so interested in the Marlin is the reports I have read said the Marlin will outshoot the Ruger.  Besides that, it is reel purdy, and I am working with limited funds that aren't mine.  Feel I owe it to everybody else to get the most bang for the buck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top