Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2002 8:33:09 AM EDT
I noticed that on the primer of each round that is chambered in mr AR,a light firing pin  indention is created...

I never noticed this before, and I'm wondering if it is cause for concern..

I'd hate to chamber a round and have the firing pin hit hard enough to fire a round off..

What do you all think?

Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Completely normal.  Don't worry about it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#3]
That's normal for any weapon that has a floating firing pin, like the AR15. You also see that with M1 Garands, M1A1s, etc.

As long as you use good ammo you won't have a problem. Reloads with primers not seated might be a problem.

Edited to add: Due to the floating firing pin design, you should never drop a round in the chamber and let the bolt fly. Let the bolt pick up the top round from the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
As folks have said, normal for a non-spring-loaded inertia firing pin. A few things to minimize a slamfire:

1) Use mil-spec ammo - it has harder primers. CCI is also famous for using harder primers.

2) Don't constantly rechamber the same round.

3) Spec firing pin length. Guages are available from Bushmaster or Brownells.

4) Consider a QMI Titanium firing pin. Less weight = less inertia. I don't buy into the faster lock time hype, but it is lighter.

Finally, as said, always watch the muzzle when chambering.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#5]
its normal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top