Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2002 7:33:43 AM EDT
Gun shop is selling M44 carbines 7.62x54 for $45.00.This sounds like it could be cheap fun but I don't know anything about them.Are they trash?problematic?Fun?Worthwhile?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
                               Thanks.
P.S.Some are Polish,romanian,russian,etc.Which are the best if any?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Fun. Get a nice Polish one if available. Try and find a matching serial # if you can.

I have two of them, a Pole and a Russian. They are actually pretty accurate out to about 250 yards, but it takes a while to get used to shooting them. I usually put 100 rounds through one of mine every week. If your scared of recoil this probably isn't the rifle for you ;)
You will have to strip the rifle and clean out all the cosmolene plus strip/clean the bolt because it will be packed in there also.
The ammo is corrosive, make sure you clean right after shooting with some windex, then regular bore cleaner.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a good price. The cheapest I've seen them for so far is $49. I like the Russian M44 with laminated stocks. I've never seen the Polish version. I've also seen the Chinese version (Type 53) which was selling for about $35 some time back, but the T53 seem to be of lesser quality and accuracy than the European-made M44.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto Waldo. Post-war Russians are nice, as they were not just thrown out the door. (I have a 1948) The Poles got the Russian factory equipment moved there when the Russians stopped making them in 1948 (to focus on AKs).
Sounds like a nice deal to me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The recoil isn't that bad with these carbines. Actually, I find them much more mild than most of today's centerfire rifles. I have a 7 lb 30-06 bolt action that thumps you much more. I guess the weight of the M-44 helps somewhat. Of course, if all you have fired is .223, then you will notice more recoil, but I find the 7.62x54 round a pretty tame cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top