Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2002 7:34:43 PM EDT
I never understood why scope rings use hex bolts for ring fastening.  It never fails for me, either the bolt or my hex wrench or both round out and prevent me from tightening or loosening.  How can I prevent this from happening?  And once it has, how do I get the damn bolts off?  Would a high quality hex wrench set take care of it?  Maybe I just need metric hex wrenches?????  BTW, my current ring screw ups are the IOR quick detach rings.  Looks like my wrenches screwed me this time.  Please help!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I am a fan of the use of hex bolts in my other hobby and has extended to my shooting hobby.  IME, hex bolts provide a much more positive attachment than traditional bolts and related fasteners.

A good set of hex keys, T Handles or hex socket (3/8" drive) will cure most, if not all, of the tightening and removal of hex bolts.  All of my scope attachments are via metric hex bolts.

racer934
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Hex because they dont strip easily.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Leupold TORX fasteners work best for me.  

Torque specs on rings are what, 13 inch-pounds?  And rings to base 65 inch-pounds?

If you're stripping hex fasteners you may be over-tightening.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Because a lot of shooters think you have to tighten the nuts until the oil seeps out of the threads.  Same reason they think they need steel instead of aluminum.  I never understood clamping screws so tight that the upper is deformed but I've seen it.

I use ArmaLite's mounts.  You just tighten their screws a enough to sort of feel the plastic washer sort of seize a bit and they NEVER move.  The ArmaLite mounts have a machined shoulder that fits in a slot on the receiver so the screws don't need to be so tight that the mount can't move back and forth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
AHHHH...I found my problem.  SAE wrenches on metric bolts...DOH!

I wasnt overtightening at all...that was my problem. *sigh*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top