Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 7:34:37 PM EDT
I've got a DMPS 20" HBAR upper.

The barrel is marked "DPMS .223 1 in 9". I assume that means it's chambered in .223, not 5.56.

My question is: will it hurt my rifle if I continusly used 5.56 surplus over time? This is not a target rifle for me, but something to shoot and have fun. I will expect (using better ammo) to maintain 1.5" or under groups however.

Think it'll hurt it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand or have heard here its okay to shoot .223 in 5.56 barrel/chamber, but not okay to shoot 5.56 in a .223 barrel/chamber.  The 5.56 is just a tad larger and does not work well in a match type chamber.  With that being said, a guy just bought a Bushmaster Varmiter and is trying to shoot Lake City brass reload and other milsurplus and is having horrible results as far as fte's and ftf's.  He knows nothing about AR's and shoots whatever he wants in this nice gun, and wonders whey it jams all the time.  I work in a gunshop and this is a wealthy customer.  Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a good gunsmith to ream your chamber to military 5.56 specifications. Then youll be able to shoot 5.56 and .223 without any problems.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont have the book... I just got the upper from them, and built a lower.

Man...I hope I dont have to mess a bunch with this thing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top