Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 8:41:10 AM EDT
I just love these guns.  Abso-fucking-lutely beautiful!  Look:

Does anyone own one of these and have remarks?  Do the 30-06 chambered ones still accept the old 20 rounders (I doubt it)?

Check 'em out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
No I don't have one but I wish I did. I have seen these at the range, they are a fine looking rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd planned on using the .338 B.O.S.S.-C.R. version for a makeover in all matte black.
Couldn't justify the cost, so I ended up with the Remington 700 BDL-DM in that caliber for my 'elk-moose-bear' gun.
I did sell a Pete Fountain model clarinet and used the $ to get my BAR in 7mm Rem.Mag., though.  I wouldn't ruin the finish on this rifle by making it matte, but, I did add a Bell&Carlson stock to it (the wood was too nice to leave on it).  It's sleek and very accurate.
Now, Browning makes the STALKER model, which is what I had in mind for the .338.  That would be a real nice gun.  All black and very powerful.  The B.O.S.S. is available, too.
A .300 Win.Mag. would be a good choice in the STALKER.
Anyway, here's mine:

Leupold 4.5-14x40 w/6" sunshade and Stoney Point target turrets; Millett Angle-Loc engraved rings on Millett 1-piece base; B-Square Match Roto-Tilt bipod; Browning X-cellerator sling and the C.(onventional) R.(ecoil) device.
The magazines are 3 rounders from the factory and I am not aware of any additional capacity magazines that will fit this model.
Get a STALKER and set it up.
There was a company that made/makes a Browning BAR that is heavily modified, called the "Interdiction" rifle.  About $4000.
I'll try to get the picture up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]
This is more my idea of a B.A.R.

found at www.ohioordnanceworks.com/slr.htm

And yes these still accept the 20 round mags.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope this works:
------------------

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is more my idea of a B.A.R.

found at www.ohioordnanceworks.com/slr.htm

And yes these still accept the 20 round mags.

Mike

Those are more qualified for the battlefield, definately.  If you had caught me in WWII, I would have been carrying a BAR for sure!

--------------

The STALKER BAR BusMaster was referring to:

I'd like to try one of these in the .300 WSM flavour.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Ohhh, i thought you were talking about these...

Not mine though, belongs to my employer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That makes two of us. Friends, the BAR is the Model 1918A2. I carried one in the "brown shoe" Army, and I don't care what any smartass ad man wants to call a deer rifle IT WILL NEVER BE A BAR----at least not to this old fart
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That makes two of us. Friends, the BAR is the Model 1918A2. I carried one in the "brown shoe" Army, and I don't care what any smartass ad man wants to call a deer rifle IT WILL NEVER BE A BAR----at least not to this old fart hr

It should be a "bSar" for browning SEMI automatic rifle...

(note the first two letters)  
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the new generation BAR retain aspects of the old AMERICAN made WWII workhorse?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]
My father's BAR II in .308 is a very nice rifle.  It's not as accurate as my AR-10, but it's close.  It's hard to take apart for maintenance, though, compated to military .308 autoloadets/
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
OT:I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wouldn't mind having one of those semi-auto 1918A1 BARs, but at $2,600 sugg. ret a copy, it would difinitely put a dent in the checking account, and therefore hard to hide from the other half. I guess I will just have to settle for a re-imported M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the bottom BAR in your 1st picture, chambered for .30-06. Mine doesn't accept 20rd mags because the floor plate is hinged. The standard 5rd mag clips onto the plate and you slap the plate up into the receiver. There isn't room for a mag with more than a 5rd capacity, so I'm not aware of what Mr_Wilson is speaking of when he says they do. Unless somebody were to remove the floorplate, but I've never seen this done on a BAR. I have a 10rd "Colyer" mag for my Rem 742 Woodsmaster (.30-06) but I use only the 5rd mags for that as well. Where I hunt deer it's illegal to use mags with a capacity of more than 5rds.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have the bottom BAR in your 1st picture, chambered for .30-06. Mine doesn't accept 20rd mags because the floor plate is hinged. The standard 5rd mag clips onto the plate and you slap the plate up into the receiver. There isn't room for a mag with more than a 5rd capacity, so I'm not aware of what Mr_Wilson is speaking of when he says they do.

WB,

He's talking about the original M1918 BAR, the military Browning Automatic Rifle, as carried in WWI and WWII, not the nice 'hunting' style rifle  you obviously have.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top