Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2002 2:51:06 PM EDT
I can't see worth a damn,thats just the way it is.

Now the trouble is I was thinking about getting a new AR but I can only shoot out ot about 100 yards.

I am much better with a shot gun that with an AR,should I go with the AR r the Shotgun?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

try opening your eyes  
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

try opening your eyes  

Or get glasses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys now I can hit anything I want!
If not for you I would not be able to live my dream and be the worlds best shooter.

Now hold still and I'll shoot that bug off your ass AND THEM MAYBE YOU COULD HELP ME OUT!......BUT HEADS.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am much better with a shot gun that with an AR,should I go with the AR r the Shotgun?

Uuummmmm,,,,the shotgun?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If not for you I would not be able to live my dream and be the worlds best shooter.

Now hold still and I'll shoot that bug off your ass AND THEM MAYBE YOU COULD HELP ME OUT!......BUT HEADS.

I could see a lot better after I quit mastu...sorry, wrong forum.

Seriously, What do you want to shoot?

If you want to play at less than 50 yards, get a shotgun.

If you want to be effective over 50 yards, get an AR and throw a scope on it =)

I really like the AR with a scope =)
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

scope?  maybe for well past 200yrds.  inbetween 50-200 use iron sights!  and have a scope sighted for the past 200yrds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Mahoney : I can sir, and if you don't stop you could go blind.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could see a lot better after I quit mastu...sorry, wrong forum.

Seriously, What do you want to shoot?

If you want to play at less than 50 yards, get a shotgun.

Just want a gun to shoot bad guys with,it will live under the bed so the AR I'm thinking about would just be a post-ban carbine.

i can shoot slugs out to 75 to 100 yards with the right sight but can't get the hang of AR-15s.

Does anybody know of any tricks or tips to speed up the learning corve or should I stay with what works.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Huh?

What do you mean you can't see?  The target is blurry? You can't see the front post on the rifle? Your groups seem too big?

W/o being a wiseass-do you need glasses or a better prescription?

Are there rifles besides an AR that you CAN shoot accurately at 100 yards?

If you are only worried about people breaking into your house than a shotgun should be fine (ignoring the issue of overpenetration).

Yes the target is blurry after about 50 yards,I have had glasses and they have it tuff to use the sights.

This will sound funny and bring about some flames but with the shotgun I don't really need to see,I can feel the gun in my hands and feel the round going down the barrel and get it where I want.

I guess want I am asking is does anybody understand what in the heck I'm talking about and can you lean to shoot that way with an AR?

BTW:the bigger the cal the better I shoot,(standing up) I can shoot a M1 better that I can an AR at 50 yards and even better with a .45-70.

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can't see your target past 50 yards, you shouldn't shoot past 50 yards.  Only shoot where you can identify your target.

A 4X scope can be focused to any visual deviance you are having, then you could see 200yds (4 x 50 = 200)!!

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't see the problem if you really just want the ar to defend your house from an intruder. Unless of course your house has a 150 foot hallway down the middle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
My point of view:

The shotgun technique is much like point-shooting, only smarty_pants seems to have it down to a finely-tuned science.  I've met men like this and admire them for it.

If you can't see it,  you can't hit it.  If you shoot better with a big-bore, then go with what works.  Granted, this is an AR board, I love my AR, yada, yada, yada...but truly, when it comes down to saving your ass or the asses of others in your protection, you OWE it to YOURSELF and to THEM to have the best that YOU can use.

I don't know how to translate that incredible point shooting to an AR.  I've always used the sights.  If you can hit at 100 yards accurately with your shotgun, then by all means, STICK WITH IT.

The 12-guage is an effective and fearsome defensive and offensive weapon, you should not feel undergunned with one unless your assailants are heavily armored and obviously at distances outside of your already-admitted area of effective fire.

If you need a distance rifle, I would also recommend seriously going to optical sights, which, it has been mentioned, can be focused to correct certain kinds of visual deficiencies.

If you choose to mount a "glass" on your "ass-saving" rifle, however, I highly recommend that, after choosing the highest quality optics you can afford, you also choose the most RUGGED and DEPENDABLE optics.  A good balance should be your best bet so that when the SHTF you will have a tool that will suit your specific purpose that you can USE.

Panz
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd say grenades.
AB
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'd say grenades.
AB

OMG! you killed your little guy!

you did it again...........and again.......STOP THAT!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a moderate visual disability, and I shoot my AR just fine.  My vision is roughly 20/200, and I am legally blind.  I have a 2x Aimpoint 5000 XD on one of my ARs that allows me to shoot out to about 100 yards.  I have a C-More red dot on my other AR for closer-in situations.  I have a shotgun for really close encounters/home defense.  I use an SR-25 with an 8.5-25x Vari-X III scope to shoot at longer range.  With the variety of optics available these days, you should be able to find something that will allow you to shoot an AR.  It's really not that hard if you practice sufficiently.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#17]
What about surgery..Could you tell what type of problem you are having besides the blur out to 50yds.

I know what you mean about feeling the shot or slug coming out. Think about a Dissipator it is 16" and a full sight radius. You need to really see a doctor and get it corrected if possible.

The Aimpoint that Sharkman has is very good. I have tried it. A scope would not be the thing for quick target accusation IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#19]

instinctive shooting seems to have gotten a fair number of police officers killed.

Thats the trouble,I don't even want to waste my time shooting if I'm not going to do it right.
I'm told that"instinctive shooting" is worng and does not work as well the right way but I don't seem to be able to get there from here if you know what I mean.

I would like to have another AR but could never use it in my house,I have a kid and don't need rounds zipping all over off target.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I would think a Hnd Gun would be good enough for home protection along with a Lets say a Mossberg 500 series. I agree with you on having bullets flying around with kids. The first thing I would do is make sure the family is behind me. I would never shoot towards my kid's room's thinking they are in there anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top