Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2002 4:18:41 PM EDT
I know that the Optima 2000 is no longer manufactured (But you can still get it some places) but the new CZ75B with the Firepoint sight is basically the same thing cause the Optima was made by a British company called Firepoint and the Firepoint sight and the Optima are different in name and badging only. Now how does this (the Optima 2000/Firepoint) compare to the DocterSight which is similar but seems more refined. It is advertised as being parallax free, how about the Optima? Is that also parallax free? Also the Optima mounts on Glocks easily with no special mounts and weighs only 1/2 oz. I am sure the Docter Sight weighs more but doesn't it also need a special mount too thereby costing more and also weighing more. So... what's better? Hey if Aimpoint made a mini M2 I would buy it right away but they don't.

Doggonit
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 Optimas and 2 Dr. Optics.  The dot looks better on the Dr. Optics.  The Dr. Optics is built ALOT better than the Optima.  The Optimas are OK if you don't get one that is already DOA.  I know a dealer that got 3 out of 5 DOA.  I would not put an Optima/Firepoint on a centerfire handgun.  The Optima/Firepoint cannot handle the recoil.
It worked fine on my Uzi since it didn't encounter much recoil on my homemade mount:

I have since taken the Optima off and put a Dr. Optics on instead on my full size Uzi with .45 Grease Gun Mag conversion.  Shown with 50 round mag.

I have the Optima on a suppressed Ruger MkII, sorry no pic of that.
Here is another Dr. Optics on my MINI Uzi.

All mounts were homemade by me.
Note that if you do get a Dr. Optics and want to BUY a mount for it that it is not compatible with the Optima/Firepoint mounts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have around 2500 rounds on full auto with a Tasco Optima so I would say this one holds up well. Never a change in zero.

The reason Optimas were dicontinues was because Firepoint went kaput and is being re-organized. Now I hear rumors of Tascos demise so don't know if ever will see something similar again for thier reasonable price.

Tasco took a special mount for Glock they came std. for weaver base. Need special mount for other guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the Optima was made by a British company called
Firepoint

Doggonit

Good God, man, don't ever buy anything designed/manufactured by the British?  Haven't you ever heard of Lucas?  British sports cars?  British military rifles?  British teeth?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have and Optima but haven't mounted it on anything yet. As for the durability issue my brother mounted an Optima on his Super Blackhawk 44 mag. He has put at least 3000 rds though it in the last 3 yrs. He finally had to site it in and replace the battery this June. Don't know if removing it to replace the battery changed the impact point or what. It hadn't been shot for a year and when he pulled it out when home here in June battery was dead so after replacing it POA was off. Pretty durable in my book if it can take that much recoil for that long. He has put 300rds a day though it with no sighting problems and these are fairly heavy loads. Also he has one on a 617 SW and is excellent. Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top