Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2002 2:23:36 PM EDT
Which one should I pick for my 16" preban flattop?  So many kickin' options I've gone crosseyed!

Long range, close, mid, it's all good to me!  I'm looking for versatility up to 200 yards max.  

Since I can't have one of everything I'll resort to the preferences of the almighty General Firearm Discussion forum.  I'm buying the most popular vote!  Why not!

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote for the ACOG!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
ACOG.

I have had a TA-11 since '97. I qualified with it yesterday on my M4. I was going head to head with one of our more senior guys who was shooting an FNC. We started this qual. at 50 yards shooting 5 rounds standing, 5 kneeling, 5 sitting and 5 prone. We then began to advance on the target. On command we would fire 2 rounds and then began moving forward again until we reached the 25 yard line. From here on in we could not stop moving. All rounds had to be fired on the move. I beat him to target every time. Some times as much as 2 to 3 seconds. When we compared targets my group was significantly smaller. He asked to see my scope so I let him try it out. He said he was going to order one that day.

I love the ACOG and feel that any of the models will work for you. You must decide how much money you have to spend and what reticule you think will work best for you. I like the circle and the triangle, but that is just me. I feel that the best over all ACOG is the TA-31. If I were to do it over this is the model I would get.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I voted ACOG.

But do your homework as to which one you want, as there are quite a few options when it comes to reticle and magnification.

I like the triangle pattern the best.

But if $800 for a scope is a bit much for your budget, I'd recommend the Eotech as a close second. It is a great piece of glass, and for the price it fits your criteria. I would feel well equipped with it at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
What about Aimpoint or C-More products?  I have both on my ARs, and really like them both for different reasons.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my Leupold VariX-III 3.5-10X40
what do you want to do at 200 yds.
if you want body shots get a acog reflex, red dot etc.
head shots get an acog 3-4 power.
eyeball sized groups get a high quality scope.

buy what you need for your application not what is the most popular.

last weekend I picked up a Ruger 10-22 and a Leupold VariX-II 3.9-40 scope.  the combination will shoot 1.5" at 50 yds.  total cost 300.00.  most of the group size comes from seeing the target so get a scope that will maximize your advantage and still let you shoot close up.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like my Leupold VariX-III 3.5-10X40
what do you want to do at 200 yds.
if you want body shots get a acog reflex, red dot etc.
head shots get an acog 3-4 power.
eyeball sized groups get a high quality scope.

buy what you need for your application not what is the most popular.

last weekend I picked up a Ruger 10-22 and a Leupold VariX-II 3.9-40 scope.  the combination will shoot 1.5" at 50 yds.  total cost 300.00.  most of the group size comes from seeing the target so get a scope that will maximize your advantage and still let you shoot close up.  

good advice 308wood
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#7]
ACOG TA-11 with the donut reticule.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I feel that the best over all ACOG is the TA-31. If I were to do it over this is the model I would get.

Just my $.02

Yeah, good choice.  I have the TA-31 on my ArmaLite AR-180 with a custom flattop upper and the TA-11 on my M15A4.  I'm using the ARMS #19 mount with both scopes.

Forgot to add I'm using the donut reticule on both scopes.

(About six months ago I was getting ready to buy 6 scopes and came here for member advice.  If my choices suk it's because I listened to you guys !!!)
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint.
       Period...
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#10]
TA31 & C-More is what i have on two of my AR's, the next sighting device i get will be the Trijicon Tactical, then i belive i will have all bases covered......

if you have only one AR-15, i suggest & highly recomend the TA31.......
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
For a 16" barrell, I'd use the Reflex II with 12 min triangle. (the tringle reticle allows BOTH CQB aiming, AND long range aim with the tip of the triangle)

In fact that is what I HAVE used.

The ONLY drawback of the Reflexx II is on shooting FROM a well lit area INTO a dark area (like when your in a field at noon, shooting into the forest) The triangle becomes hard to see as the daylight dims the reticle, and the darkness around you target hides the reticle.

I vote against the ACOG both due to cost (I don't think you get twice the scope with the ACOG for twice the price of the Reflex), and it looks its too scope-like - not suited to CQB, IMO (tho I've never handled one)

Can anyone comment on how well the AGOG is for CQB (snap shooting) where you can't really take the time to aim (you just place the reticle ctr mass and squeeze)???

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#13]
In my opinion and experience using both the ACOG and the Reflex (both the NSN and the triangle models)I have found that the ACOG is as fast as the Reflex in CQB. The ACOG gives you advantages over the Reflex at ranges over 25 yards because of the magnification. It takes time to learn how to use the ACOG but once you figure it out you will never want another type of sight.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I said ACOG - but there is a condition: that it be the COMPACT ACOG in 3x with the triangular reticle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
how much more compact can you get than a TA31 ??

mine is pretty dang small, just a bit over 5"....., long that is....., the scope man !! the scope.....!! concentrate !!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

mine is pretty dang small, just a bit over 5"....., long that is.....,

ummmm, Dude, I think they are talking about optics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top