Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2002 3:02:25 PM EDT
Is it legal to own post ban AR 15 mags?  If the mags only have a post ban date stamped on them and do not have "export only" or "LEO" on them, can I legally own them as regular citizen?  Thank you in advance, I am new at this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
if the date stamped on them is after Sept 13 1994, and they hold more then 10 rounds, then, no it is not legal to have them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it legal to own post ban AR 15 mags?  If the mags only have a post ban date stamped on them and do not have "export only" or "LEO" on them, can I legally own them as regular citizen?  Thank you in advance, I am new at this.

Four (4) posts and and a completely bullschit topic........yeah, you're 'new' at this.

With preban mags cheap and plentiful there's no practical reason to go where you want to go.

Get yourself an attorney to answer this question.  In the mean time, I would assume any mag with a postban date stamp is not legal for the general populace to use.  duh !

I would trust no answer as to the legality of postban mags posted here or any where else unless accompanied by an opinion letter from an attorney whose mal practice insurance was paid and currently in effect.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Four (4) posts and and a completely bullschit topic........yeah, you're 'new' at this.

With preban mags cheap and plentiful there's no practical reason to go where you want to go.

Get yourself an attorney to answer this question.  In the mean time, I would assume any mag with a postban date stamp is not legal for the general populace to use.  duh !

I would trust no answer as to the legality of postban mags posted here or any where else unless accompanied by an opinion letter from an attorney whose mal practice insurance was paid and currently in effect.

Wow, are you having a rough night?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, are you having a rough night?

Nope, pretty good in fact.  I won $50.00 when Tiger didn't win the British Open so that helps !!

How about you ?  Everthing good in Virginia ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if you are having a good night then I would hate to see a bad one .

Things are just spiffy here in VA, to damn hot but OK just the same.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a gray area.

According to the BATF FAQ:

Persons who import large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994, or manufacture large capacity ammunition feeding devices must legibly identify each device imported or manufactured by serial number and other prescribed markings. The same serial number may be used for all devices manufactured or imported. Such devices must also be marked "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/ GOVERNMENT USE ONLY" or, in the case of devices manufactured for export, "FOR EXPORT ONLY." Domestically made devices must also be marked with the name, city and state of the manufacturer. Imported devices must be marked with the same of the manufacturer, country of origin, and name, city and state of the importer. Persons who manufacture or import metallic links for use in the assembly of belted ammunition are only required to place the prescribed identification marks on the containers used for packaging the links. [18 U. S. C. 923( i), 27 CFR 178.92( c)]

I'd say anyone arrested for possessing these devices will easily be able to plead ignorance--after all, they are not properly marked, as required by law.

OTOH, you'll have to test it in court, and *I* would not want to be the test case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well if you are having a good night then I would hate to see a bad one .

Things are just spiffy here in VA, to damn hot but OK just the same.

VA, after a time these Troll posts develop a pattern - very low post count, some borderline legal topic, etc.  There's nothing for AR15.com or its' members to gain from participating in a topic that walks so fine a legal line.

However, you may feel different and if so please give the Troll your opinions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why mess around w/mags that were made after the ban? Why would there not being stamped LEO or Export Only matter (Im talking legality, not whether anyone would get caught, prosecuted etc)

There are no lack of pre ban mags in good shape for reasonable prices-check the equipment exchange or ammoman.com.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
VA, after a time these Troll posts develop a pattern - very low post count, some borderline legal topic, etc.  There's nothing for AR15.com or its' members to gain from participating in a topic that walks so fine a legal line.

I have an alternative theory:

Low post counts stem from the fact that some people are new gun owners, new ar-15 owners, or longtime gun/ar-15 owners new to the net/site in general.

The "borderline legal" topics come from the moronic, poorly written laws that take an attorney to properly grasp.

I'm honestly surprised we don't see MORE posts like this, but it probably comes up often enough that the question is answered for 75% of the people thinking it, before they have to ask.

Yeah, some of them are trolls, but I'd rather rehash the same topic a thousand times than have some newbie go to Club Fed because some old timer told him "we've been over this before, troll."

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I think that the higher the post count, in some cases, means a bigger A$%hole is behind them, putting his/her .02 in too much.

just my .02
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think that the higher the post count, in some cases, means a bigger A$%hole is behind them, putting his/her .02 in too much.

just my .02

You might just be right.  On the other hand, I get to judge what's too much.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah, some of them are trolls, but I'd rather rehash the same topic a thousand times than have some newbie go to Club Fed because some old timer told him "we've been over this before, troll."

There are new posters and old posters and many in between.  I see no difference in the quality of answers between those with many and those with few.
However, when a topic is introduced by a Troll - and that topic is borderline legal - I say so.

The original topic is a troll post.  I'm pretty sure I know who this troll is and will get Staff to check in the AM.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Could I also make one note here......

Yes, it's nice and lovely that pre-ban mags are plentiful, but I can't recall the last time I saw a pre-ban ten rounder for sale. And if you'll note that on Ammoman's AR-15 mag page, there's that nice purple banner that says SORRY NO MAG. SALES TO CA, NJ, HI, or MD.

So while they are cheap and plentiful, for many of us they also carry an additional '1-3 in the Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Prison' use tax.

If you don't want to feed the trolls, then don't. But for SOME people out there this is new territory, and since the government has no interest in making the laws intelligible for them(or us), it might be nice to cut them a little slack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top