Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2002 1:51:42 PM EDT
I have a Browning Travel Vault (5115 I think) and I want to get a new foam insert so I can cut for a new rifle.  Browning doesn't list them so, I am open to suggestions...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You have some options with foam.  For cases you can look for a place that sells eggshell foam if you're not cutting to fit, or for something like the Knights pelican cases you can use a low density closed cell polyethelene foam.  Check www.hibco.com/material.htm should get you the names of some suitable products and using those names as search criteria in a search engine like google.com should give you all the info you need on what type of foam you want.  Then, buy sheets big enouth to fit your case and cut them down to size.  For cutting them down, I suggest picking up a hot wire knife for doing the cutting.  A hot wire knife should be found at any place that sells art supplies worth it's salt.  An example of them can be found at hotwirefoamfactory.com/1_products.htm

To make it easier, you might want to buy one sheet that's the exact thickness you want to hold the parts, and then another to fill up any remaining depth, if there is any.  That way, you can cut straight through the one piece and leave the other to act as a bottom, making the piece look better and more professional.  If that list of previous examples doesn't help you, check with a local art supply place to see if they carry foam that you might be able to handle to get an idea as to what you want.  If not, you might ask an on-line retailer if they have any chips, sample, or scrap pieces of foam they might be able to send you.  You should be able to get some for just shipping charges, or at worst a small fee.

Let me know how it goes.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I would check your local camping store or a place that sells those eggshell foam style mats or roll up beds and just cut it up. It will probably be the easiest, the only problem it might be the yellowish color instead of black or gray and yellow..

Ohhh just buy a whole new case and I will take the old one and dispose of it for you .
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Last resort: any dumpster behind any furniture store!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Try http://www.starlightcases.com/, they carry foam for their cases (which I highly recommend), and they may be the appropriate size for yours.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try http://www.starlightcases.com/, they carry foam for their cases (which I highly recommend), and they may be the appropriate size for yours.

They make good cases, I agree !
www.starlightcases.com/
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some nice foam that I rescue from the trash at work. Email me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered a bunch from these guys.

www.canalrubber.com/9.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have redone SEVERAL cases with foam from FoamOrder.com

I keep a constant link on my website for them.

Great product, great price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top