BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 10:20:51 AM EDT
Sad but true...
Saturday, July 20, 2002
Last updated at 10:12:17 AM PT

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. -- A man armed with an assault-style rifle opened fire on a helicopter landing in a residential neighborhood, thinking the chopper was carrying terrorists, police said.

Helicopter pilot John S. Sutton landed his helicopter July 13 at the home of businessman John Peters to pick him up, police said.

John Chwaszczewski, a semiretired construction worker, became alarmed when he saw the chopper swoop down over his garage, about a block from Peters' home.

"Maybe I overreacted, but I did feel this was terrorism at its utmost," Chwaszczewski said.

Chwaszczewski told police the shooting was "a natural reaction," after having watched the events of Sept. 11.

A woman who identified herself as Sutton's wife said he would have no comment.

Sutton was charged with recklessly operating an aircraft, a misdemeanor, Deputy Police Chief Ken Middlebrook said Friday. If convicted, he could face a month in jail.

Chwaszczewski was charged with interfering with an aircraft, discharging a firearm, an AR-15 rifle, in a public place, reckless handling of a firearm and assaulting Sutton. He faces up to eight years in prison and $10,000 in fines if convicted.

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
"Maybe I overreacted?"  Makes you wonder about some people.  There's no wonder with people like that that gun owners have a bad repuatation.  I'm sure the anti's will have a heyday with this one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"Maybe I overreacted?"  Makes you wonder about some people.  There's no wonder with people like that that gun owners have a bad repuatation.  I'm sure the anti's will have a heyday with this one.

"Your honor, look at this guy, he opened fire on a helpless helicopter because he is paranoid. This is why Assault weapons should be banned and how long must we continue before more CHILDREN die?"
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No kidding....what a friggin idiot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
aw dang. Here i was thinkin i was gonna learn how to shoot down an aircraft in here. Oh well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I also was tricked into coming here.heredo's and don'ts...

We now know the don'ts...what are the do's?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
i am glad he was a bad shot,some people are just idiots. in fact alot of people are.
people like John Chwaszczewski only help the anti-gun people cause.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Was the Helicopter Black? Becuase if it was I can see where he was coming from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top