Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2002 1:23:41 PM EDT
after shooting my mini 14 a few times i have decided it really kicks the crap out of my 12ga for home defense I mean it will penetrate thick steel, armor, and glass has no recoil and from what I read makes a mess out of what it hits its fast holds lots of rounds (40 +1) this is now going to be my primary home defense gun,
did anyone else switch from shotgun to semi 223? it just seems like the perfect weapon for home defense. I dont see why I would grab the shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
after shooting my mini 14 a few times i have decided it really kicks the crap out of my 12ga for home defense I mean it will penetrate thick steel, armor, and glass has no recoil and from what I read makes a mess out of what it hits its fast holds lots of rounds (40 +1) this is now going to be my primary home defense gun,
did anyone else switch from shotgun to semi 223? it just seems like the perfect weapon for home defense. I dont see why I would grab the shotgun.

I don't know about you but I don't have much thick steel or armor in my house. I would be concerned if I was a neighbor of yours though. How many walls/houses do you think it could shoot thru? There are a lot of pros and cons about what to use for home defense, but to me, using a rifle, any rifle, is partially dependent upon how close the neighbors are and how pissed they are going to be if one of the rounds exits your property and smashes into theirs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with ya. I personly own an M4 and would leave the other guns if somone broke into my home.

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
When my ass is on the line I want power, screw what all the tests and testers say about how good the 223 load is for the home.  

Cops that use it have back up and plenty of other options available if they need them. Bigger is better when it's just (^U^)

"Better to have and not need than to need and not have."   12 ga 870 HD all the way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
To each his own, but I carry my 870 with assorted rounds in the shotguns side saddle and in the bandoleer.

Like I said, the cops have back up and many options available to them to get the job done, when it's only you, the best weapon is the one that can handle multiple situations the most expediently.

My 870's side saddle and bandoleer are equipped for most any situation, that means a lot to me.

I don't care what tests show, there are to many variables in real life situations that tests can not duplicate, also I think test data can many times have built in biases for a host of reasons.  My 45 Sig also comes along, me likes them big holes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#6]
If I'm going to respond to somebody INSIDE my home, it's going to be with the 12ga. There is no place in my house where there is enough range to get out of 00 buck's lethal zone. If I'm responding to something outside, I'd probabily still take the shotgun. There's nothing like the sound of a shotgun being racked. Most perps are only going to be armed with a cheep handgun or a knife. I've a clear advantage over either and if I need more, it wouldn't take me long to get to it. I would have to imagine that the situation that 8 rounds of 00 buck cannot handle is going to be unhealty for me either way....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top