Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2002 10:11:11 AM EDT
Hi All - my dad recently purchased a M44 Mosin Nagant, the cheap Russian training rifles you see < $100 these days.  He's an experience firearms person, and although I haven't seen the rifle yet myself, he cannot find any kind of safety on it.

Question to those of you in the know: does this rifle have any kind of safety whatsoever?  

TIA,

- Snacko
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
100$ is a little steep for a m44.  The safety is on the bolt itself.  you need to close the bolt, pull the drawer pull handle thing on the end of the bolyt and twist it counterclockwise.  

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#2]
keving67 has it correct, but I'll add one thing.  You're pulling against the firing pin spring, so you'll have to pull the handle/knob pretty hard to put it on safe.  To engage the safety on mine, I have to put the stock firmly against something (table, thigh, etc.) to be able to pull hard enough so I can put it on safe.  Just mentioning that, because after a few minutes of working with it, I didn't think the safety worked because I was too afraid to put enough force on it.  I know better now.z
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out:

www.mosin-nagant.net   and

www.gunboards.com  "collectors forum"

The first site has a tremendous amount of info assembled by some of the most knowledgeable M-N collectors alive.

Noah

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The safety on the M-N is one of the crappiest I have ever seen... like other said, you pull real hard on the cocking peice then turn it leftward and the bolt will be caught by the left leaf of the receiver. Takes considerable force to engage it and alot to release it. Its definatly not good for deer use, because it will make lots of noise and the deer will hear you and run. I wonder why doesnt anyone make aftermarket safety for it that is easier to engage?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow! You learn something new every day. Now I feel like an idiot!
I just got my first Mosin a week ago. I had convinced myself that the rifle had NO safety! I just dismissed it as typical Soviet concern for their own troops!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, the M44 was not a traing rifle.  It was the USSR's primary battle rifle of WWII.  The 7.62x54R cartridge is similar to a 30-06 in power.  It will shhot a fireball of about 18" during the day and kick harder than a 12 guage.

I call mine the "Mule".

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't shot mine yet, but I shot a friend's. Yep! It really lets you know it's there!!! I just got mine all cleaned up after buying it and I'm really happy with it. It's the nicest Mosin I've seen, but I got lucky judging from some others I've seen.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top