Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2002 4:54:34 PM EDT
I called up the law enforcement division of the NC Attorney General's Office in Raleigh, NC today to ask them a question about trading handguns.

I specifically asked if the two people trading the two guns being traded -already bought once with needed pistol purchase permits- (ppp),needed new ppps to trade them. These permits are issued by the sheriff after a background check.

Of course! the man replied. You have to go through all the crap of getting another ppp again just to trade the guns.

Mr. Brown has a Glock 17 9x19 handgun. Mr. Jones has a Browning Buckmark .22 handgun. Mr. Brown wants to trade Mr. Jones handguns. Mr. Jones needs a powerful handgun to protect his store with and Mr. Brown needs a .22 to legally dispatch the muskrats he traps. Both guns were bought over the counter with pistol purchase permits by the men. However, they need to go back and get 2 new ppps to trade their guns between them. STUPID ISN'T IT?

Oh well.   CRC  
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Another step closer.

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what I do when I get pistol permits here in NC.  The Sheriff of the county where I live allows you to get up to 3 permits on one background check.  So, I go ahead and get 3 permits.  The permits are good for 5 years.  Before I used up the permits, I get 3 more.  If I see a handgun that I want, I don't have any problems!  The permits are even good for long guns.  If the NICS system is down, you can use a permit and not have to go through NICS system.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Vulcan,

What county is that? I live in Buncombe (Asheville).

CRC
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
CRC,  I live down by the coast in Columbus county.  From my house to N. Myrtle Beach, SC is only a 30 min. drive.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Think you've got it bad. Here in NY my wife cannot shoot my handgun unless she has it on her permit. Takes 7-10 days. You have to go into the county and apply then go back when the judge approves it to have it typed on your permit. Not legal for anyone to handle a handgun unless it's listed on their permit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
ger42,  Damn!  That sounds like a very good reason to move to NC!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I called up the law enforcement division of the NC Attorney General's <snip>
I specifically asked if the two people trading the two guns being traded -already bought once with needed pistol purchase permits- (ppp),needed new ppps to trade them. <snip>
Of course! the man replied.  

And you were expecting what answer?
Personally I wouldn't even have asked. Ignore that B.S.!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
DO what I did  - move to Free Carolina.

Class 3 legal, and NO requirements whatsoever on private party handgun transfers.

CRC -

I used to live up in Asheville - in the Oakley section, over behind Home Depot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Vulcan,

What county is that? I live in Buncombe (Asheville).

CRC

Howdy neighbor!!! Haywood County here, 5 permits at a time no problem!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
CRC, they were wrong.
To BUY a pistol at a gun store, you have to give the store a permit (which I believe that the seller sends back to the sherriff).
To buy one from a private party, it is up to the seller to ASK if you have a permit, but you DON'T  surrender the permit to the seller.
You CAN buy a pistol from a private party without a permit, if the seller wants to.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Here in Indiana a few years ago, if you were to sell a handgun, you had to go to a dealer and have it transfered to the buyer and pay a transfer fee. Now they are treated the same as any other long gun, with private sales now being legal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Garandman,

I live out 74-A. I know where you are talking about. I knew people from school who live in Oakley. The only bad things about A-ville is a lack of AR-15 supplies and a total lack of public shooting ranges. My dad and mom lived in SC ("The Free Carolina") back in the late 70's (Columbia to be specific). CRC
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]
A note that comes with your "permit" states that you are Not to sell the gun, unless the buyer has a "permit " from his/her county of residence.
(Davidson Co.-"LONG LIVE SHERIFF HEGE")
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Gaston County here. IIRC you can get 5 permits at a time. What I like about NC is open carry. That way ya don't have to pay those stupid fees to carry CCW.

That reminds me. I only have 1 permit left. Gotta get some more
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad you said that Caveman...Greensboro G-Show coming up at the end of Aug. need to get "Permits"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top