Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 8:22:32 PM EDT
What is the safe minimum barrel wall thickness for 5.56x45?  I'm having an HBAR barrel custom turned and fluted and was wanting the area forward of the FSB turned to .675 and then cut with .090 deep flutes.  Minimum wall thickness for this setup would be .130 - any problem with that?

TIA
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Tate,
hopefully the gunsmith doing your work can supply this answer.  If you're doing a double check on your supplier, you might give Kurt's Kustom a call.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
5subslr5 - great minds think alike.  The rifle has been in Florida at KKF's for the last week.    Just been a couple of weeks since I asked him this Q and I haven't seen an answer yet - other replies from him, but no answer on this.  I know he's a smith, not in the business of running a "Dear Abbey" column, so I figured I'd give the question a whirl on this board since I wasn't able to find this info doing a net search.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]

[qoute]The program has some built-in safety devices. If the barrel cylinder diameter is no more than .1" over thread shank diameter, a warning will be printed. If the length of the flutes is within 2" of the overall barrel length, you will be told. For flutes machined to within .100" of the groove diameter, you will be warned. When using the pre-programmed barrel tapers, you will be notified if too much length has been trimmed from the chamber end and the overall barrel length would exceed a 29" blank length.

Soooooo - it looks to me like I'm safe with the .138 and .130 minimum wall thicknesses.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Safe to take the barrel to this minimum thickness per Kurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top