Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 7:22:08 PM EDT
I've been wanting another one for awhile now. I've had a Colt 1991-A1 and a Springfield Armory Champion but I sold the Colt and traded the Champian off at a gunshow.

I got a NIB stainless fullsize loaded 1911-A1. I traded my Glock 21 and $100.00 for it. I liked how the Glock handled but I hated the fingergrooves. They were too close together for my large hands.

The only thing I'd like to do with the 1911 is get an extended magwell for it. Does anyone know where I can get a good one? I want one that is one piece with the backstrap.

Also what hollowpoint is a good manstopper I should carry in it?

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!!  I love Springfields 1911's.  Now can we see some pics please
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Congrats!!  I love Springfields 1911's.  Now can we see some pics please

second the pics!

keving67
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
We are a group who is stimulated visually.

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Nighthawk,
Congrats.  The Springfield is a great gun.  As far as Hollowpoints, the standard is 230 Federal Hydrashocks.  I like Speer Lawman also.  Gold Dots are great too.  As far a mag wells go you have a huge choice.  I will assume that you are not interested in gunsmithing this part or welding it on.  I would recommend a Smith and Alexander mag well.  You remove the mainspring housing and replace it with the S&A mainspring/magwell.  I've had mine for years and have been very happy with it.  

Now, you need to become a member at the http://www.1911forum.com.  http://www.pistolsmith.com is another good one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got that model:  9151XL.  If you go with the mag well, be aware that all of your mags will need an extended baseplate.

Initially, I had problems with FTF on the last round of each of my Springfield mags.  I carry with a Wilson Combat 8-rnd mag, but the others are working better now.  I'm not sure if it was the gun or the mags.

I like Federal HS or the Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys if I had a digital camera I would show you some pics. But for the price of a camera I can put that money toward more guns..lol

I really like the looks of the smith and alexander magwell. Where is the best place to look for it?? I found it at one sight for $70 bucks. Is this a good price??

Both of the factory mags functioned just fine but I'm gonna get some Wilson combat mags with the extended baseplates anyhow. Plus I like the 8+1 better than the 7+1 mags. Every round helps..lol
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
www.brownells.com
Has a ton of gunsmithing parts and tools.

Most guys prefer the S&A magwell.they are about $70-$75 retail. but they are very nice. The 20LPI checkering is great.

Sometimes they require minor fitting, sometimes they drop right in.
If it's too tight, gently file the S&A part, not the gun.
If you need help, email me, I can walk you through it.

The good thing about the .45ACP is bullets choice isn't as important as with the smaller pistol bullets ( 9mickeymouse)
I would not feel under-gunned with my 200gr. semi-wadcutter handloads.
My grandfather carried an original 1911 in WWI, he said 230gr. FMJ was a problem solver.
It hits with a resounding THUD !

For a good home defence load, get some Hydra-shocks or Golden Sabers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on the new baby.  I love my parked SA Loaded and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I used to carry 230 grain Hydras but I started using Winchester USA brand 230gr JHP.  They cost about half as much and, out of the thousand rounds or so of them I've fired, have been 100% reliable in my Glocks and Springer.

I have some Wilson 8 rounders that have been great but I like the 7 round mags (just personal preference).  I just normally use the 2 Springfield mags because they have always functioned perfectly.

Safe shooting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top