Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 11:32:08 AM EDT
I got a Howa PCS heavy barreled (#6 Contour) 308 when they first came into the country (After they dropped the Weatherby name)... Even still to this day, people don't know how fantastic these guns are, but since that time, they have caught on a bit more.

Well, lately, I have been in this "long range" phase, swapping off a lot of my semi's for precision bolt guns.

My first Howa PCS (Police Counter Sniper) grouped 1/2 MOA with Federal Gold medal Match, or good handloads. Not too bad for a $390 rifle.
I also had a Sporter (That I have since traded) in .270 that was sub-MOA with junk factory ammo.

Well, my latest one was a heavy barreled stainless .308... I shot it for groupage this morning...

With a crappy Tasco mil-dot, and Federal Match, it was 1 ragged hole at 100 yds . MAJOR sub-moa...

I did only a little work to these guns.
The stock is crap (Butler Creek is the factory OEM ) so, I bedded it with Brownells Steel-Bed.
I also used spotting compound on the bolt, and burnished any contact points with Flitz, and a Dremmel felt wheel at about 20K rpm... Just to make the bolt a bit slicker... Also, I floated the barrel channel with emory paper and a dowel rod. Personal prefrence. The triggers are as good as a Remington factory unit. They are outstanding.

That's it.
These guns are absolutley fantastic.
Buy one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I never heard this. I wasn't here.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
To be honest, I have never heard of Howa.  After your post, I started searching around the net and found exactly what you are posting.  They are damn good rifles, and CHEAP!!!  You got any pics of the finish product?  I am gonna start looking for my own soon.

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Post a link to these Howa PCS rifles. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you consider "moderately-priced"?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
www.auctionarms.com has 14 of them for sale right now. Some are available with the "Buy It Now" option.

WB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top