Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 7:49:39 AM EDT
Whats up guys,Here's the deal.Recently I had a pretty bad accident at work.I fell on some sheet metal and severed all of the goodies in my right hand(wrist)Basicly I am left handed.But I shoot a rifle right handed.They don't think the pinky,ring,or middle fingers on my right will ever get right again(That will suck no more flipping the bird with that one)What I would like to know is what would ya'll suggest.I have a S&W model 657 .41 mag 6 1/2" full lug bbl. non- fluted cyl.Should I go with a variable ,a fixed 4x or 6x ,or should I try one of those red dot, holo,gilmore ,deals I know they don't have any magnification...Please excuse the typing ,Hell I can't type with 2 hands........................Thanks in advance  SWAMPDOG
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used a few different handgun scopes for deer hunting, including a Tasco 1-4X, a T/C 2.5X, a Burris 1-4, a Burris 2-6, and a Bushnell 2-6. Other than for sighting in, the higher mag is not very useful. If it were me, after using all these other scopes, I would go for a 2X Leupold and not look back. The eye relief and small FOV of the higher mag optics on a handgun make them less than ideal for whitetail.

I guess the answer also depends on what type of cover you expect to hunt. If up close and personal, a good 3MOA dot scope would also be a good choice.

Handgun hunting is fun. I've filled a number of doe permits and taken a nice 6 pointer with my .44 mags, in ranges of 20-60 yds. Of all the handgun optics I've owned the Burris 2-6 is the nicest, and it RARELY leaves 2X...The Burris 1-4 suffered from too small a field of view, as did the T/C scope. The Tasco wasn't bad, but wasn't good in low light conditions.

Good luck with the healing AND hunting!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a 2X Leupold and have no complaints. Really have not had any problem sighting in with it either. I just use a bigger square for my aiming point and sight in for center of square at 100 yds. with the 44 Mag. I usually use the orange sticker sighting squares that are in Midway or almost any sport/shooting store.
Tuco
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,Pesonally I have the gold ring on all of my toys.But a lot of people speak highly of the burris scopes.I have never tried them.If they are as good as the Leupolds ,them they must be some good stuff.I also have a T/C encore that I can make into whatever I want ,but I love that .41.I really don't have much experience with hand gun scopes(just a old ruger .22 with a really old aim point but it does the job on sticks and cigarette butts).
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Swampdog, first off, sorry to hear about your hand. Hope everything turns out okay. As for handgun scopes, I would recommend a quality variable. For close up or moving targets, you definitely want the larger field of view that low magnification offers. But it is also nice to turn up the magnification on stationary targets at longer ranges. Go with a variable model to get the best of both worlds if you plan on doing any longer-range shooting.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
For a time, I had a Leupold LER fixed 4X on a Glock 20, back when I had 3 Glock 20's. I don't have it anymore, but it isn't like I got rid of it because I didn;t like it. I just have the attention span of a 2 year old when it comes to guns, and trade them after short periods of time.
Anyway, the Leupold was definitley a good little scope.

Handgun shooting at long ranges isn't nearly as difficult as people think, but it's one of those things that people are too afraid to try.
At the range where I shoot, all the regulars congregate on the 100 yard line to pop steel with handguns.

Beekeeper said you had to have 8X to sight in.
As long as you have a good spotting scope, your weapon sight's magnification is irrelevant for sighting in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top