Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2002 6:38:59 PM EDT
Throwing this question out for opinions, experiences, etc... I have a 6" blue .357 Python that's seen better days, finish-wise. No big scratches, some carry wear, but worst of all, some light and shallow rust pitting. Not deep, but through the blueing. 1) Never say never, but I'll "never" sell it. (I bought new in '77.)
2)I probably won't shoot it much anymore either.
3)Son will get it someday. 4)I'm not a big fan of satin nickel finishes or anything that looks like that and would prefer keeping "original".
My question is...would you refinish it if it was yours, AND who would you send it to for an original look ? COLT ? someone else ? P.S. It is in perfect working order. Thanks and Stay safe
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Back to Colt for that incredible deep blue.  Nobody does it like Colt and Pythons are probably the best.

Anything less is just wrong.

Edited to add I've seen some German hunting rifles (Steyr etc) that also have superior metalwork and blueing.  But the German blue does not exceed Colt's.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. See if you can send it back to Colt. I would really be afraid some gunsmith would get a little overzealous with the buffing wheel and ruin your Python.

I have always thought the Pythons were more like works of art and not really guns.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gentlemen. I was leaning towards your mutual recommendations before. BTW 455SD...I don't own any "works of art" that haven't had a few 1000 rnds thru 'em. But, I know what you meant. Stay safe
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about Colt quality. Colt has laid-off/fired so many of its old workers in the past few years, I wonder if they have anybody that is able to do the bluing of yester-year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know about Colt quality. Colt has laid-off/fired so many of its old workers in the past few years, I wonder if they have anybody that is able to do the bluing of yester-year.

If you don't know anything about something why would you feel motivated to comment about it??

Have you looked at recent Colt blueing??

Just feel a need to make a stupid comment?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:16:59 AM EDT
[#6]
i would personally leave it alone, ive seen reblueing hurt the value of more guns that it has helped. the ONLY option in the blueing dept would be for Colt to do it, if they wont then Dont Muck with it and leave it be, thems are battle scars.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i would personally leave it alone, ive seen reblueing hurt the value of more guns that it has helped. the ONLY option in the blueing dept would be for Colt to do it, if they wont then Dont Muck with it and leave it be, thems are battle scars.

Having not seen Sparky's Python, that's my PERSONAL opinion too.  Could be the finish is worn enough to warrant reblue.

Or maybe he just WANTS a new blue finish.  Nothing wrong with that either.

My Python has a ring worn around the cylinder but I don't consider having it reblued.  But if the finish was substantially degraded I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top