Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 3:37:12 PM EDT
Anyone ever seen these rifles?  I saw one in a local gunshop today.  This thing was light as a feather!  I have never heard of them and am wondering if they are any good.

www.proord.com/products_body_t97.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
There were some problems in the original production run, but they may have been fixed. They should sell for $800 or so. Check out the type 97s, it has a scout rail and iron sights.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen 2 of these that have cracked , the first one had a crack at 7 O'clock in the ejection port 1/2" long and the lower cracked vertically through the safety sel on both sides ! The second just had a crack out of the ejection port. Personally I wouldn't buy one after seeng these.
That Fortier guy that does reviews on miitary type stuff has a review of the new 97 in one of the gun magazines this month, He seemed to like it but he really didn't say much about long term durability...  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Many owners experienced sheered boltheads and some other nasty stuff.  I don't know if I would spend money on one.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That's all I needed to hear.  I'm probably going to go with a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Back before the board changed a little, Prof. Ord had a forum in the Industry Section. The fact that a bunch of Prof Ord rifle owners were trying to get a class action lawsuit going against the company did a lot to persuade me against them. That forum was so filled with complaints and people who sent their guns back 2, 3 and even 4 times was sad to see...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot one a friend of mine bought.  Was not impressed.  The thing would not fire 5 consecutive rounds without a malfunction.  It was brand new-out of the box and lubricated to the manual's specs.  I shot my Colt M4 right beside it and had zero malfunctions out of 400+ rounds
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#7]
They are absolute crap...

I've owned 2 of them...

First one was nothing but problems, so I returned it to my dealer for a refund...

About a year later, I figured the problems with the first one must have been a fluke, so I bought another one...

Big mistake...

The bolt broke in half after ONLY 2 shots from a brand new gun...
Not wanting to give-up as easy this time, I replaced te bolt with a spare USGI bolt that I modified to fit the POI barrel extension...

The gun still had problems...

I opened up and radiused the ejection port to match USGI specs, polished the feed ramps, installed a USGI bolt carrier, Heavy steel buffer, USGI buffer tube, Heavy Wolff buffer spring, installed an A2 stock, and replaced the extractor spring with a HD Wolff spring & D-fender O-ring...

After my 10-12 hours of gunsmithing, the gun worked great for about 400-500 rounds...

THEN, the gas tube broke/blew off the front sight base...

POI mailed me a new gas tube and bolt ONLY after I sent them the original broken parts...

They also were nice enough to write me a note saying any future warranty on the gun is completely voided due to my gunsmithing...

I put the gun back together in it's original configuration, and promptly traded it off at the gunshop...

I will never buy another, and will tell everyone I can about how much of a piece of shit and rip-off these guns are...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top