Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 5:59:51 PM EDT
Hi yall. Ive been reading this board for a while now, and like yalls support for one another. Maybe you can help me too. Heres my dilemma. I picked up a supposed Pre-ban AR from my bro-in-law about 2 weeks ago,(my first) and fell in love with it the first time I shot it. Only prob is when i did a serial # search on Armalites web site, it told me that it was manufactured before the ban, but the ATF classified it as post ban because they werent sure if it was assembled before or after the ban. The serial # is 20xxx, and acording to the website the preban cutoff is at serial # 30xxx. BTW it is an Eagle Arms EA-15. It has a collapsable butstock, free-floated aluminum handguard, 16" barrel, with a flash supressor that has been silver soldered on due to the fact that the actual barrel is only about 10"? Im sorry for the novel, but i am getting tired of dealing with it. Thinking about trading it for newer post ban, and loose the hassle.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Who told you the BATF classified this as a postban since they didn't know when it was assembled into a complete rifle.  This sounds like one of the last ones Eagle Arms (ArmaLite) made and have been releasing in batches over the years.  Does it have a white eagle stamped on the front of the mag well?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Does he have the original receipt or know the purchase date? He can simply say- What was a AW ban in 92? I had to run around with ATF when I did my SBR, and I had owned it since '90. I asked them what was an AW ban in '90...I did not have to register rifle as it was built for private consumption, no re-sale, so no registration, that is why they did not know about the rifle, excise/registration is due upon sale of finished product. That thing been AW all along.  I won....
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Armalite's web site told me batf classified it as such. No white eagle, but when I did the serial # search I searched 1 # higher, and it said it was a pre-ban. I also searched about 10 #s lower, and 8 out of 10 said the same thing mine did. But i randomly searched the s/n database all the way up to 30000, and could only find 8 hits that said the same thing mine did, all others said it was a pre-ban. I just dont know...........
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Innocent until proven guilty. ATF must proove the lower wasn't assembled (or was assembled without pre-ban features) before the day the Sept 1994 ban went into effect. Impossible to do. Armalite is just covering their butts.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My bro-in-law is a police officer, and seems to remember buying it off of gunbroker.com, but is not sure. I at first thought it was a leo, but there are no markings, and he said he didnt buy it off of letterhead.. Is this gun worth this much trouble? i really dont like the car- configuration anyways, the only reason i bought it was because i got a smoking deal on it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
So, can i legally sell it as pre-ban?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So, can i legally sell it as pre-ban?

I would.

Even an SP1 *could have been* neutered into a match rifle and devoid of all evil features in 1975. If left in that configuration until 1997 it could not legally be switched back to it's original condition because of it's status on the day the 1994 ban went into effect. Again, impossible to prove.

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Armalite's web site told me batf classified it as such. No white eagle, but when I did the serial # search I searched 1 # higher, and it said it was a pre-ban. I also searched about 10 #s lower, and 8 out of 10 said the same thing mine did. But i randomly searched the s/n database all the way up to 30000, and could only find 8 hits that said the same thing mine did, all others said it was a pre-ban. I just dont know...........

This is what the ArmaLite website says in reference to an Eagle Arms in the range of 20xxx:

Your receiver appears to be Pre-Ban. However Many Eagle Arms lower receivers were sold to customers and assembled outside the factory. ArmaLite has no way of knowing which of these arms were legitimately assembled into pre-ban rifles before the Crime Bill went into effect.
Do your search again, and post exactly what the web site says.  Highlight it, click 'edit' and 'copy', come here, do a 'reply', click 'edit', then 'paste'.  I am curious because I tried several in the 20xxx range and the above is what I got.

If it has the 4.33 flashhider permanently attached, it is most likely a factory Eagle Arms preban.

First you said you loved it, then you said you really don't like it.  Which is it?

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Although your serial number falls into the range of receivers made prior to the assault weapons ban, it was determined by the ATF to NOT be assembled PRIOR TO the cut off date. Therefore, your receiver/rifle is POST BAN

For further information on your rifle to include date and configuration shipped, you may submit for a letter of authenticity

For a primer on the history of ArmaLite, go here

Return to Main Page

When  I said I loved the rifle, I guess I meant it in a different context than percieved.I loved shooting the rifle. It was a blast, but I am more into target varmint shooting, than entry work, therefore I really wanted a regular A2 20" With full stock etc.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Although your serial number falls into the range of receivers made prior to the assault weapons ban, it was determined by the ATF to NOT be assembled PRIOR TO the cut off date. Therefore, your receiver/rifle is POST BAN

For further information on your rifle to include date and configuration shipped, you may submit for a letter of authenticity

For a primer on the history of ArmaLite, go here

Return to Main Page

When  I said I loved the rifle, I guess I meant it in a different context than percieved.I loved shooting the rifle. It was a blast, but I am more into target varmint shooting, than entry work, therefore I really wanted a regular A2 20" With full stock etc.

Give them a call at 800-336-0184 and ask them why this particular rifle gives this response.  It just doesn't sound right and could be a programming error in their search program.  If you find that it is, indeed, a postban and you bought it as a preban, you should inform your bro-in-law that he sold you an illegal rifle.  I believe it really is a preban and that's why I think you should call ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate the help LARRYG. Ill give them a call right now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I got screwed on this deal. According to Armalites dickhead rep, The reciever was made before the ban, but didnt leave the factory until 1996, so therefore, i have an illegally configured AR. Anyone need a preban 16" upper and 3 pos collapsable stock? Like to do some trading.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Guess the ATF doesn't have to prove anything if the receiver left the factory in 1996.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, I got screwed on this deal. According to Armalites dickhead rep, The reciever was made before the ban, but didnt leave the factory until 1996, so therefore, i have an illegally configured AR. Anyone need a preban 16" upper and 3 pos collapsable stock? Like to do some trading.

Why is he a dickhead?

My reciever was made before the ban and didn't leave the factory until 2000.  However, it was assembled into a complete rifle before the ban date and sat at ArmaLite for several years.  If you don't mind, e-mail me the serial number and let me talk to someone there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll gladly swap you a brand new 20" Bushmaster XM15E2S for it...

Even-up of course
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Dragracer_Art, Someone may be interested in the upper and stock already, but if the deal falls through, I will definately be sending you an email, that is if you are serious.

P.S. I will have pics up later today if i can figure out how to post them..
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dragracer_Art, Someone may be interested in the upper and stock already, but if the deal falls through, I will definately be sending you an email, that is if you are serious.

P.S. I will have pics up later today if i can figure out how to post them..

I would like to see the pics as well.  If you are really concerned, take dragracer up on his offer.  Wait until I have a chance to talk to some folks though, because I really believe your rifle is okay and is a preban.  If it turns out that it is, I would keep it intact as is, get a postban 20" (ArmaLite or Bushmaster)and build your collection from there.  You mentioned putting another thousand dollars into this rifle.  Spend that thousand on a postban and keep this rifle as is, provided it is legit.  I will let you know in the next couple of days.  I got your e-mail and will talk to them in the next day or so.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#18]
LARRYG, I really appreciate your help on the subject. I need help posting the pics. Do I just copy and paste?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Heres the link to my "hastily designed in about 20 seconds for the purpose of showing pics web page"
www.hunting-pictures.com/members/clindav.index.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Heres the link to my "hastily designed in about 20 seconds for the purpose of showing pics web page"
www.hunting-pictures.com/members/clindav.index.html

That address doesn't work.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#21]
To post a picture:  Once you get the picture uploaded to a site (not Webshots, they won't let you link to a picture from another website), display the picture, right click on it, click on 'properties', it will show you an address, among other things.  Highlight the address, right click again, click on 'copy'.

Come here, start a post or reply, type this character [, type img, then 'edit' and 'paste', then then type /img, then this character ].
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

is this right? Why doesent it work?

I fixed it so it would show.  Now that I can see it, the upper is not Eagle Arms.  It could still be a preban.  The person I need to talk to won't be in until Monday.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

[,img,www.hunting-pictures.com/members/clindav/ar1.jpg,/img]
is this right? Why doesent it work?

Where you have a comma after img, you should have a right bracket ].  Where you have a comma before /img, should have a left bracket [.

Sorry about the confusion.  I just used the commas as punctuation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#25]
How did you fix it? Do you know what kind of upper it is?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How did you fix it? Do you know what kind of upper it is?

Just do an edit on your post and correct.  Click on the icon that has the pencil on it.

I have no idea what brand that upper is.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Got It!!! Thanks... Do you personally know someone at Armalite?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Got It!!! Thanks... Do you personally know someone at Armalite?

Yep.  She said your lower left the factory as a stripped lower and was not assembled at the factory as a preban.  She said that when the ban date was coming up, BATF came in and randomly picked which ones could be assembled as prebans and which ones could not.  Unfortunately, yours was not one of the chosen ones and left as a stripped reciever as noted.  Sorry.  Either sell it back to your brother in law or get a postban upper.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I really appreciaate your help LARRYG. I already have a post-ban lined up. Im not really mad at my bro-in-law because I still got an awesome deal on it pre-ban or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top