Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 6:28:02 AM EDT
Can someone explain to me the advantages  of rim fire cartridges?

Never understood why any cartridge would be better as a rim fire. Can someone enlighten me?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Rimfire was a system long ago abandoned, since it is indeed inferior to centerfire. It was originally truly perfected as an Eley idea, and as i'm sure you know, many big bore rifle and pistol chamberings were rimfire for a long time. It was just one available system "back in the day"...
With the smokeless powder era and needs for hotter priming, centerfire cartridges rose up, and erased the now inferior rimfires.
Of course, the .22 series of rimfires make sense, since the available brass is too small to prime with an in-line centerfire primer.

mcUZI
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The only rimfires I'm aware of are the .22 long rifle family (short, long, long rifle), .22 Magnum, and the new .17 Hornady.  The Long Rifle has the advantage of being very cheap, shoot all day for a couple bucks.  Plus, in a rifle it's quiet enough to shoot without ear plugs.  The other two, Magnum and Hornady, are actually about as pricy as some of the less expensive centerfire.  These two are pretty loud.  You don't want to shoot any of them in a pistol without hearing protection.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Just off the top of my head, I can think of a few advantages of the rimfire:

Relatively inexpensive way to sharpen shooting skills.

More than enough "firepower" for dispatching small varmints without "overkill".

Farmers are more willing to allow you on their property to help lower the pest population. (vs high power centerfires)

Ruger 10/22s are alot of fun to tinker with and customize.

Accuracy (with-in their distance range is amazing)  

I'm a big fan of the .22WMR and have a few "Customized" rifles.  Lot's of fun!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, rimfire cartridges are more prone to accidents due to the primer being exposed al the way around the rim of the cartidge.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Plus, in a rifle it's quiet enough to shoot without ear plugs.  

Are you sure about that?

Huh, could you speak up sonny?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just off the top of my head, I can think of a few advantages of the rimfire:

Relatively inexpensive way to sharpen shooting skills.

More than enough "firepower" for dispatching small varmints without "overkill".

Farmers are more willing to allow you on their property to help lower the pest population. (vs high power centerfires)

Ruger 10/22s are alot of fun to tinker with and customize.

Accuracy (with-in their distance range is amazing)  

I'm a big fan of the .22WMR and have a few "Customized" rifles.  Lot's of fun!

You talking about certain advantages of the rimfire your familiar with, namely the .22LR.

I think that evades the question of the mechanics/physics behind the rimfire/centerfire.
You know: manufacturability, flame travel, reliability, cost, etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#8]
.22 LR may not be as loud as 150 decibels, but it'll damage your hearing just the same.  The higher pitch of the report will destroy your high frequency hearing.  That's the part that lets you distinguish a particular sound when surrounded by a lot of background noise (listening to someone in a crowd).  I even wear hearing protection while in a rifle pit.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Boomholzer,

Ahh, I gotcha!  I should've waited for my morning coffee to kick in and than re-read the question!

M4,  Never Mind!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top