Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2002 4:58:34 PM EDT
I have a Mini 14 and it has an 18.5" barrel and it is extremely loud.  How much louder is a 16" flat top?  My cousin and I are both considering new AR's in the near future and were just wondering this cuz neither one of us has shot an AR with a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What sort of muzzle device (if any) do you have on your guns?  
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not have any device on my gun. MY cousin has a flash hider on his.

I actually think his is quieter than mine.

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That is because a flash hider tends to disperse sound waves downrange, away from the shooter.  Whereas a plain muzzle or some brakes will disperse the noise back toward the shooter, thereby making it seem louder.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll not hear the difference more than once anyway. GlockA-Molee is correct in that the noise is not created only directed in a different direction.

Between 30 dB EAR plugs and 32 dB muffs you'll not tell the difference.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, Just my opinion.

I HAD a 16" upper on my M15A4(T)Carbine.
I wasn't very thrilled with the 100yd(+) accuracy.  I thought it to be more usefull for "close encounters" (SWAT type stuff).

In fact, I sold it to a LEO friend and replaced it with a 20" barrel upper.  MUCH better.

The ArmaLite Muzzle Brake made that 16" barrel sound like a cannon, from the shooter's point of view.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the AK muzzle device on my AR. I find that it is very good with the noise and recoil. I would not buy another brand. It works so much better that the Smith that a buddy bought. Love the AK for the AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top