Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2002 10:44:56 AM EDT
I am interested in getting one of the AR15 22lr conversions.  How well do these work and what kind of accuracy can you get?  Is it par for the rifle?  How does it compare with other 22 rifles?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of them, the Ceiner conversion and the Air Force conversion. Not that great in the accuracy department but fun for plinking. For the best accuracy you'll need a dedicated .22 rimfire barrel. I just use mine with a dedicated .223 barrel/upper. There's really no comparison to a .22 match rifle like a Kimber using match ammo, but if you want accuracy you're going to have to lay out the bucks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
i have two also, both Ceiners, my first one i used only in my older Colt SP-1, first tyme on the range the accuracy surprized me, @ 100 yds i had 87 holes in a 16" bull, all 100 holes were in a 24" square...., offhand !

the other, i have not yet used, it came wyth the Carbine, which i bought from a LEO, he used it in tactical training, i have heard the fast twist, 1/7 & 1/9 are too fast, but the LEO i got it from said it was very accurate..., now, exactly what that means in tactical training LEO language is, it's your guess......?

he also said the "leading problem" is somthyng he never encountered & not blocking the gas tube was never a problem & getting "lead" fragments thru the gas tube he never encountered, admittedly i do NOT have that much experience..., but, hey, who does.....?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Colt .22 conversion kit. It has worked excellently with 100% reliability. I use it in my pre-ban Colts with 1/7 barrels. Accuracy-wise, while I've never shot it at paper to see what a group it can produce, I would say it's comparable to my Ruger 10/22. They are quite a bit of fun for plinking and screwing around. The only downside to the Colt unit is that the only magazines available are the factory 10 round ones, but I can live with them for what the conversion unit is and how I use it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to use it up in the mountains.  This way I can switch from a small game rifle to a coyote rifle without carrying 2 rifles.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Might be accurate enough for small game at 100 yards, more or less, but you're going to run into a zeroing problem switching between .22LR and .223 using the same upper with just the .22 conversion.

If you're using iron sights, you'll need to zero both ammo types and mark the elevation wheel with a white marker or nail polish. Or if you're using a scope you'll have to crank in separate adjustments and mark it and/or write it down. And you need to know how repeatable your scope adjustments are.

I think a dedicated .22 upper would be better but might be too much for you to carry afield. It would certainly weigh less than carrying two complete rifles though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Veri-X III with target knobs, so I don't think it will be a problem.  I'm trying to avoid more bulk to add to the 100lbs of crap I already carry when I go on my little wilderness excursions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi, I did a detailed test of the Accuracy Speaks dedicated match .22LR upper in Precision Shooting magazine a couple of years ago.  Also just finished one on the Compass Lake Engineering .22LR match AR15 upper, which will be coming out in a couple of months.  Basically, with good ammo (Tenex or Federal Ultra Match Subsonic) they can put 10 round groups into an average of 0.35" or so at 50 yards (5 consecutive 10-shot groups).  By comparison, I shot a USAF .22LR conversion unit, as issued, with a flat top upper that had a scope and a 1:12" twist SP1 barrel on it.  At 50 yards, four 10-shot groups with CCI Standard Vel. averaged 3.65", while the same ammo averaged 0.7" for five 10-shot groups with the Accuracy Speaks upper.  As you can see, for humane use on small game, the conversion unit in a standard AR is pretty much a short range proposition.

Hope this helps,
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top