Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2002 8:52:43 PM EDT
I have never been able to find out much except the simple history on the Armalite website.  Did it ever go into production?  According to the site it also would compact like the AR7.  I would love to have one.  Any of you superrich (laughing uncontrollably) guys out there have some extra cash, send it to someone to mass produce a new run of these supercoolass guns.  I can see one in the trunk of my car.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#1]

bcw,
I've looked for one of these rifles for years !!

(Patent issued 1/1/57)

The AR-5 was made in .22 Hornet and grouped about 4" at 100 yards - pretty respectable for a survival rifle.  This survival rifle was a bolt-action and everything did pack away into the buttstock like the AR-7.

Some of the AR-5's were fitted with a sound suppressor.

The ArmaLite designation was AR-5 and the Air Force designated as the MA-1.  The Air Force did adopt the AR-5 for their survival rifle but due to large quantities of the M4 and M6 Survival Rifles already on hand bought only (5)
AR-5's.

If we're ever going to own one, some rich guy will have to produce it !!
AR-5                              
Weight - 2.75 pounds              
Length - 30.5" (Assembled)
Length - 14" stowed

Was actually a little smaller than the AR-7.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe this could be a project for one of the extremely mechanically inclined types that I have seen on this board.  I do not have access to or knowledge of a metal shop or metal workings.  It seems that the only hard part would be the receiver area.  Present day .22 Hornet barrels could be used as well as .22 Hornet-specific actions from some smaller bolt guns could be modified.  I see guys here taking months to build a homemade AR15 lower receiver.  If I had that kind of inclination I would definitely do this project.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
i saw a really neat AR-7 at the gunshow this weekend. FAL pistol grip, telescoping wire stock. marked Armalite, Costa-Mesa and had US AIR FORCE on the other side.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem with owning an AR5 is twofold:
1. They have a 14" barrel
2. They were only sold to the US military and were never released to the civilian population
Therefore, if you owned one, you would be a felon.
That being said, I did know someone who had one.  It was a neat piece of history, but a cheap POS otherwise.  And, the dammed thing was LOUD.
ML
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i saw a really neat AR-7 at the gunshow this weekend. FAL pistol grip, telescoping wire stock. marked Armalite, Costa-Mesa and had US AIR FORCE on the other side.

The rifle you saw was made for the Israeli Air Force.  (I don't have a clue as to why one would be marked "US Air Force.")  Some had flash suppressors and most had ported barrels.  Guess there wasn't much call for the floating stock in the desert !
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the major problem in building an AR-5 would be the plastic mold for the stock - expensive.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
actually now that you mention it it only said "AIR FORCE" the "US" was my incorrect assumption
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top