Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2002 5:19:28 PM EDT
I have been looking at the Bushmaster as the possible next brand of AR for me. I have a Colt 16" carbine and would like to someday purchase a Bushy XM-15E2S 20" rifle to go with it. But it seems as of late that I am hearing of all sorts of Bushmaster problems on this board...FTF's, FTE's, etc. Is Bushmaster having some quality control issues or are there just so many more Bushmasters sold than other brands that naturally more problems will be reported because of this? So everyone, how do your Bushy's perform? Hopefully I can get an accurate measurement of their quality based on the responses. Thanks.

---Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
They are fantastic.
Top notch.
The only difference between them and a Colt is the premium you pay for the pony logo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My first AR was a Colt. It's a Great Rifle. My next was a Bushmaster. It too, is a great carbine. The Bushy has been reliable and accurate, and is very well made. They are both top grade weapons, and I don't think you can go wrong with either maker.

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My first AR was a Colt. It's a Great Rifle. My next was a Bushmaster. It too, is a great carbine. The Bushy has been reliable and accurate, and is very well made. They are both top grade weapons, and I don't think you can go wrong with either maker.

One word.......PURTY!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesnt Bushmaster make M-16s for the government now too?   BUSHMASTER is really really really good!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm fairly new to the AR thing, but I have to say that my Bushmaster is way nicer than my buddies Colt Sporter pre-ban.

Maybe he can tune/tighten it up a little, but his is much looser and no where near as accurate as my bushy.

I have not had any malfunctions as of yet
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Charging Handle-  I had to send mine back to have the sights re-aligned (all the way to the right when zeroed at 100 yds) and the gas tube inspected as it seemed to be leaking.  That said, I think that Bushmaster gets more "Problem with my new Bushmaster" posts partially due to a slight need to improve QC, but also because they sell a bigger volume of guns, so statistically they will get more problem posts.

Hardly ever read a bad post on Armalites here, but they sell a much smaller volume per year.
I chose the Bushmaster as they were just much more plentiful in the stores, and I didn't want a gun with a muzzlebreak (just alot more noise, with no real benefit on a semi auto AR)

Even with my problems, I'd recommend a Bushmaster to a new AR buyer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#7]

I have a XM-15E2S. It's the only AR I have so I really can't compare it, but It is accurate and reliable. I would recommend it.

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
"How good are Bushmasters?" They are so good, I own one. That's how good they are. It's a pre ban purple people shooter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Before my BUSHY could hit 1000 (approx.)rounds it had the bolt and carrier replaced along with the gas tube and the upper (not the barrel)was replace 2X. Alot of my problems were from the carrier having burrs on it that were tearing up the upper.Good thing I got it from a dealer and not a private seller for warranty reasons.I now have over 1100 rounds without any malfunctions and I just emptied mags at Bulletfest3 without any hic-ups.So...my barrel has over 2000 rds. but my upper  has like 1100. They CAN make a good rifle (per AR15 members) but I think they have QC issues to deal with.Throughly test it before depending on it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Bushmaster XM15E2S 20" and sold it a few months ago, for another project...

Best shooting AR I've ever owned...

Liked it so much, I just got another one last week...

Did have some tight chamber issues with 2 uppers I bought fom them last year...
Sent them back, and had good turn-around time, but they still weren't fixed...

No complaints about their complete rifles though...
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 Bushmasters. All my friends shoot Bushmasters. NO ONE HAS ANY TROUBLE WITH THEM. That's in over 40k rounds amongst them. Don't forget that Bushmaster sells more AR15's than everyone else COMBINED. That includes the Colts for civilian use. The only problems we have had are ammo related (when I make a batch of not so good reloads). Oh well, that's only 200 rounds to struggle thru. The weapons are great and can outshoot most riflemen whether they will admit it or not.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Bushmaster makes damn fine rifles. I own one, and one of just about every other make out there. It's top notch. Who cares if it has a purplish tint to the receiver or not? Not like you're never gonna get it covered with mud and such anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Doesnt Bushmaster make M-16s for the government now too?   BUSHMASTER is really really really good!

No.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Because of Poor Quality Control on some stuff
they ship Buyers need to ask the following Questions

Is the upper or Lower Purple in Color ?
Is The Upper and Lower a Nice tight Fit ?
Is the The Color on the Uppers and Lower
the same ?

Bushmaster is capable of making a very Fine AR
But for some reason they ship Rifles with Purple
Finish now and then, and it not like its something new. You can see this going back 12 years. Seems that someone would have the brains
to call up the anodizer and say if the finish
comes out Purple do not ship it to us. IS THERE
ANYTHING I SAID YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND !

Last two barrels I got from them had excess windage. You also need to keep an eye out for that.

Pete
Tha AR Wizard

I do have a Fantastic Bushmaster Preban That is Jet Black, that I would not sell for anything. But
I had to pick it from 15  that came thru my books before I found a nice Black one.

What is the rail system on the rifle in the picture?  Do you carry them?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine had a few issues.   Throw the 10 rnd mag away.  My probs. were remedied by getting good mags and lube the crap out of the bolt and carrier.  The rifle finally got into a good groove and I haven't had a prob since.  It took about 100-200 rounds to break in. Not a hicup since. The guys on this board gave me the support that I needed during that hard time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
XM15E2s 20" HBAR.  Love it, shoots everything, even Wolf. Loves $9 used  Orlites, will never sell it.  Great rifle.  Too tired to say any more about it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Don't forget that Bushmaster sells more AR15's than everyone else COMBINED.

You're going to have a pretty tough time backing that statement up.

As for Bushmaster, they are one of the better off brands. Significantly more problems than Colt, but they do have a fairly good customer service department to correct the numerous problems that plague their products.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe it is made by ARMS and is known as the SIR system

HTH

John
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Just wanted to add...

Since having trouble with the 2 Bushy (Quality Parts Co.) complete uppers, I haven't gotten anything else from them...

Maybe all the "best" parts go into their factory assembled rifles, and the reject parts are sold to the unsuspecting "civilian" ???

I buy from DPMS when I need parts, barrels, or uppers...
Everything I've gotten from them is "top-shelf"...

Anyone want to know how I feel about Professional Ordnance Inc. ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I've had several Bushmasters and built one from one of their parts kits. None ever had problems. On the other hand, my brother bought a DPMS that had FTE's (eject) every round. It turned out that the bolt had been assembled with an incorrect ejector spring. After replacing the spring with the correct one, the rifle has been fine and hasn't had one more malf.
Every brand will have some problems now and then. I think Bushmaster gets talked about more because they sell so many rifles.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

FN has the contract.
I'll keep my Bushie Shortie, though, even if it does have an AK brake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top